SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyjoni

just spayed my cat, now she is crazy!! - please help

happyjoni
16 years ago

I just had my 3 year old cat spayed on May 31st. After the first 2 days I had to put a cone on her because she was picking at her stitches. About a week later they healed and I took the cone off - she was ok for a day. Then, it started... she attacks my husband constantly. She growls, moans, hisses and has attacked him like she's crazy! - bites him, scratches him.. so bad that she breaks the skin and he has blood running down his leg, ALOT of blood. When he comes home, she 'hunts' him, crawls low to the ground under the kitchen table and will pounce on him. When he's home I have to put her in the basement to keep her away. She's fine with me and is even sweeter than before with my 2 children, cuddles them, sleeps in bed with them at night, and I can't sit down for a second without her jumping into my lap and cuddling me.. it's just my husband and it's only since she's been spayed. I took her back to the vet about a week ago to have her checked again. They took blood and checked her wound from the surgery and everything was ok. He said that her hormones are out of whack from the surgery and it could take up to 2 months for them to go back to normal. I've never heard of such a thing and I can't find anything on the internet that says this. I'm wondering if her surgery was botched and he doesn't want to be held accountable. The only thing I read about a cat's behavior changing so drastically was because the cat was sick, in pain, or that it could be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. I've never owned a cat before and I really have no idea what it could be, just seems strange that it's only since the surgery. My plan is to wait out the 2 months which will take me to the end of July and hopefully she'll be back to normal by then. If not, he ways we'll have to get rid of her because he can't live like this - he's afraid to walk into his own house. I love my cat, the kids adore her, they will be heartbroken. I don't even know what I would do with her if we had to get rid of her. I'm in tears just thinking about it. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with her? Is this something that's common? Any and all comments are more than welcome - I really don't know what to do.

Thanks for your time :)

Joni

Comments (7)