SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davissue_zone9

what would you have done

davissue_zone9
14 years ago

My husband and I were taking a walk last evening, when a loose dog ran up to us. I saw it was a pit bull with no owner in sight, so we froze in the approved "tree" position, and held our breath. It sniffed around us, then lost interest and started sniffing around the yard next to us. We slowly walked away, but the dog loosely followed us down the street, exploring the yards as we passed. It looked well cared for, but was not wearing a collar. We are not dog people, but maybe if it wasn't a pit bull, we might have tried to restrain it and knock on a few doors, but we decided better safe than sorry, and tried to ignore it and get far away as possible. Unfortunately, a couple walking a string of five dogs rounded the corner, and you can guess what happened. I saw the pit bull take off towards the other dogs, and I screamed to the owners that it wasn't our dog, and it was a pit bull. I don't think they heard or understood us, and they continued towards us until the pit bull charged their dogs and lit into them. They started screaming for us to control our dog, and we yelled it wasn't ours, it was a stray. They couldn't control their dogs, being so outnumbered, and it evolved into a swirling snarling mess. We kept walking, while the other couple screamed at us. But what could we really do? Any of the dogs would have attacked us if we had intervened. And I sure wasn't going to try to restrain an enraged pit bull with my bare hands. We had no cell phone, pepper spray, or other aid to offer. The husband had managed to kick the pit bull away from his dogs, but the wife was too hysterical to gather up her dogs and flee down the street, so the pit bull kept circling around and re-attacking. We felt awful, not coming to their aid, and their cursing at us as we backed away from the whole mess, didn't make us feel any better. What do you think we should have done? To be honest, my husband and I are not comfortable around any dogs, much less strange fighting dogs. Were we really negligent, not wading into the fight? What should we have done to help? I thought about knocking on a door, but people rarely answer their doors, if they are even home in our neighborhood, and even if 911 was called, I doubt the cops would have come before it was all over.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz