SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Irresponsible pet owners

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I posted before about my fiance's neighbors and how they let their dogs run loose all the time. Our next door neighbor that just moved in a few months ago had started encouraging their dog to use OUR yard as a potty and play area (they would throw his ball into our yard for him to retrieve it.) I became concerned that the dog thought our yard was HIS territory after he started chasing our vehicles and one night I came out to my car to get something and the dog charged at me barking. I held up my hand like I was going to strike him and yelled NO and he backed away. My fiance had a talk with the neighbor (the husband) after that and told him to please keep their dog out of our yard. The husband slammed the door in his face. The wife said we were just causing drama and "needed to settle down and relax". but as far as I can tell the dog has stayed out of our yard. They still let it run loose though and now it has taken to crapping in the neighbor across the street's yard all the time.

My fiance joked that they must train it to go to a certain yard. I think it is an obedient dog because once it was yelled at by it's owners for going onto our property he doesn't seem to venture to our yard at all. But now I've seen it walking in the middle of the road quite often and the neighbors just don't seem to care.

But the funny thing is they were so offended and upset but our asking them to keep their animal off OUR property but when it happens to them they flip out. The neighbor ran over and started screaming at my fiance the minute he got home from work the other day. We have a problem with stray cats in the neighborhood and apparently a cat got into their garage (they leave the door open) and tore into their garbage and made a mess. A cat also walked all over their sports car (also in the open garage) and left muddy foot prints all over it. A cat also climbed into the wife's mini van through an open window and peed and pooped on her seats. Sorry, I'm a horrible person but I had to laugh at that one. The neighbor thought for some reason WE owned all the neighborhood cats or that the stray cat that has adopted us (that we feed and provide vet care for). She is a spayed female that hangs out on our porch. She used to be a house cat for the neighbor across the street but he threw her outside when his wife left and stopped feeding her. I can't have any more inside cats (have four) so I feed this cat but it is an outside only cat.

We also have taken on the care of another stray female (soon to be spayed) who has two kittens. As soon as the kittens are old enough we are going to take all three to a rescue group. For now they live on our back porch and the mother cat never leaves her kittens (she might go ten feet off the back porch) They are provided with a litter box, food and shelter on the porch. (which is very far from the neighbor's house).

The female that used to be a house cat, has been accidently locked in the basement (she wandered in when the door was open) overnight and never peed or pooped in the basement. So I highly doubt she would crawl through an open window of a mini van and use the seats as the restroom! She is overweight and I don't see her climbing much at all. As for the mother cat she is well fed too and I don't think she would go rooting through garbage and she wouldn't walk that far away from her kittens to do so either.

There are several feral and stray cats that are afraid of people that sometimes come into our yard (I don't feed them) that may have done the damage the neighbors were accusing us of)

My fiance told them that we don't own any of the cats (true) and that we just feed the one that hangs out on our porch and she is well fed so it is doubtful she would go through their garbage or crawl into their mini van. The guy calmed down and seemed lost for words but didn't appologize. The wife had told me (when we first met them and showed their daughter the kittens) that there were a lot of stray cats and there was one wearing a collar with a cropped tail that got into their garbage and tore it up. I remarked to her that I had seen that cat once before (up the road) and it seemed fearful of people.

I don't know if I should try to find a home for the female outdoor cat that we feed so the neighbors don't try to harm her or if they will just start shutting their windows and their garage door (the smart thing to do) I'm about 99% sure it isn't our outdoor cat that is causing the dammage because it doesn't make sense that a fat, well fed, former house cat would be doing such things. Now if they told me that this cat had wandered in through their open door and was found sitting on their couch I'd definately believe that.

Comments (16)