SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

'the feeling that haunts us (but comforts more)'

moonie_57 (8 NC)
16 years ago

The title was a quote taken from one of labmomma's posts...

Our first Golden Retriever was euthanized 14 years ago. We went almost 3 years before bringing home another pup... a Golden, of course. Murphy had a good long life and was just like another one of the kids. My husband was devastated over our loss and still to this day can be brought close to tears. He was away on a trip when I had to have Murphy euthanized. I made the mistake of having it done without letting him know. Was afraid of giving him such bad news with him 600 miles home. He was somewhat bitter about that. Though it may have been the wrong thing to do, at the time I felt it was best.

When we got Frazier it was such a big deal... kinda like a new human baby in the family. Pretty sure people got sick of seeing pics. :)

Somewhere along the line... for me... it seems like we still have Murphy. Frazier has grown up to be Murphy all over again, with the same temperament, coloring, build and personality. Now, I'm not sure if dogs can "come back", but the thought is an interesting one.

My sister was here last month and for the entire visit she called Frazier Murphy... and we've had Frazier for 12 years! Which of course has lead to my mother calling him Murphy for awhile now. I don't bother correcting the name and Frazier seems to think it's his nickname. He doesn't care what you call him as long as there's some lovin' to go with it. :)

I don't mean to take anything away from Murphy's memory by comparing Frazier to him, but we have been very lucky with the dogs in our household. Hope it holds true for our next Golden pup that will be coming home in 7 weeks!

Comments (8)