SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Hutch pantry buffet

elba1
13 years ago

Hi all, our kitchen plans include a 6' long piece I'm calling a hutch pantry buffet. I need a run of counter space to serve buffet style (as I'm getting rid of a shallow peninsula currently used for this purpose), and this piece would be our pantry storage. Was going to do basic upper & lower cabs, but change it up a bit from our "L" run with appliances; incorporating beadboard paneling as a backsplash vs. tile, different countertop material, and corbels to make it look more like a hutch piece. Now debating on what best to do with the lower cabs. The current thread on "pantry design input" has me confused, and I didn't want to hijack it, so here goes...I have learned about the value of drawers here, and will be incorporating them extensively on the "L" run of cabs. However, for pantry storage (I was planning to store mostly "box type" packages in the uppers eg. cereals and such, and more canned good type items in the lowers) I thought lower cabs with roll outs would be better in this case than drawers - seems drawer layout would have to be very precise - all cans lying face up with labels, or standing where you can't see what they are. Seems like there would be a bit more flexibility with dry good purchases using rollouts - know what I mean? If there were a few shallow rollouts, canned goods wouldn't need to be stacked, yet you could better see what they were as the sides would be shorter than drawer sides.

The question is: "What is the best way to store canned good type items in lower cabs?" Thanks.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH