SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdanco

Kitchen in early 18th century house

10 years ago

Hello all,
We have been living in and restoring an old stone house (circa 1715) for the past 20 years. We remodeled the kitchen shortly after we moved in, while on a tight budget, and have never been happy with it. Our contractor used garbage cabinets (Yorktowne...stay away!), which I have painted a few times. The countertop is formica, stainless sink, etc. We do have newer, good appliances. Retirement time is coming, and we'd like to stay just another three years, and then put the house on the market. We're in a rural area in NJ (yes, they still exist), surrounded by farms and expensive homes. We, however, are not amongst the wealthy. So, here's our dilemma. Our house is decorated to period, and I'd like to remodel the kitchen, also to period, for our enjoyment, and to up the resale value of the house. Is this a smart move? I plan on keeping it simple, and my son would do some of the work (he's a builder, but we'd still pay him...at a discount). The prices for cabinets, even in HD or Lowes, have blown me away! Also tried Cliqstudios, and they came in even higher! I would guess we would have to spend a minimum of $30,000, which we would put on our line of credit (house is paid for, but like many, we had hoped to sell it for our retirement fund and buy cheaper). Advice anyone?

Comments (18)