SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

Need instructions/advice on 2 water line projects

Kathy Johnson
15 years ago

I have 2 upcoming water line projects I'll have to start on & need instructions on what to do.

The first is the water line from the meter at the road to the house. Over the 12 years we've lived here, we've gotten leaks or holes in the line & my husband has half-ass fixed it. Several months ago the guy from the water department came out & put a temparory metal band/clamp on it but said we would need to fix it. BTW, our pipes are iron pipe & have rusted on our side (naturally) of the meter. I have measured the distance from the meter to the house to be 165 feet. I want to replace all the iron with pvc (or whatever you use) because I know eventually the iron is going to keep rusting & getting holes in the line. Might as well replace the whole thing all at once, I think. Anyway, our house is built on a slab. My in-laws suggested instead of worrying about going under the slab, to do what they did (their house was damaged by Hurricane Ike). They said they got some gizmo that attached to the outside water faucet & connected it to the new line. The father-in-law suggests renting a ditch witch & making a new line & not worry about digging up the old one.

Any advice? We only have the one outside water faucet in the front yard so I don't want to close it off, especially in the summer when I'm watering plants.

The second project is since I'll have to rent a ditch witch for the water line & buy pipe, I have been wanting to have a water line from the house to the vegetable garden instead of dragging water hoses. I have to measure to be exact but it's about 200 feet. We have a well I could tie into but it needs a pump or something before it's usable again. Or, we can use the back outside water faucet, but again, this is the only one so I don't want to tie it up if there's another way.

My husband had back surgery & cannot help so the labor will fall on me & a teenage son & daughter, plus teen nephews if needed. I plan to rent a ditch witch because my father-in-law suggested it would be easier.

Any thoughts or advice anyone can give me? What else, including tools, will I need? What are my options with the slab? I went on the Home Depot website (only thing in my area except smaller, more expensive places) & they have 'supply lines' instead of 'water lines'. Is there anything in particular I need to look for? I don't have alot of money to spend on these projects so I'm trying to be frugal & do whatever I can to cut costs without cutting quality since I intend to be in this house for many years to come.

Comments (8)