SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

In what details/areas have you educated your professionals?

14 years ago

dcwesley's thread about soft close on trash cans made me curious. I have been amazed at the number of things I've asked for that the professionals have not heard of. I tell them what I want, they blink. I have to show a picture. I don't mind doing so as long as they are willing to investigate.

My granite fabricator said he had never done or seen a k;tchen with wood adhered to granite. When he checked, turns out they had just done one just last week... in the k;tchen of a designer. He also told me the sink support systems like Braxton Bragg (showed him Kevin's picture) would set me back ~$150 per sink, but I could certainly do that if I wanted, if it would make me feel better... On the BB website, as far as I can tell, one will be $32 and the other $20. (Truly he's not condescending and has been very patient, and has also learned that he can learn a lot from me)

My GC told me it would "look strange" to bump the windows out to have more space behind the sink. He also rarely gives his opinion, usually just says "If that's what you want", but he volunteered that he didn't think I'd be happy with my Silgranit sinks (too lightweight, he thought they seemed poor quality). Granted, he is in his 80s and has a definite comfort zone, but he's open to learning new things too.

That's just a couple of examples among many.

What have you had to tell your professionals about?

Comments (11)