SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

textile experts: pls help--vintage wool saltillo serape

mahatmacat1
11 years ago

Hi textile-expert folks,

I hope you can help me. I have finally found a *large* saltillo serape, one of the Mexican weavings with gradations of color and subtle diamond patterns, and this one is definitely vintage. It's in great condition, no rubs, no moth holes, the fringe is beautiful -- BUT it smells rather intensely of mothballs and for some reason, it's kind of stiff.

I'd love to get it to the point of softness of other serapes I have, smaller ones that are luxurious to the touch -- it's the same fiber but it feels like there's something embedded in the fabric.

How does one, or is it even possible to, colorfast something with so many colors in it? Vinegar would make the colors run before stabilizing them...or is there some other chemical means? Should I put it in the dryer, extremely light heat, with the home-drycleaning kit? Don't want to leave it outside because it might bleach it...

Any ideas? Febreeze on almost antique wool?

Thanks! It's a beautiful deep turquoise ground, very finely woven...I want to keep the colors as crisp as they are now, but lose the crispness of the fabric : )

Comments (12)

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

I wonder if charcoal would absorb the odor? You'd have to wrap the charcoal in cloth so that the ash didn't get on the serape and then put it in a plastic bag for a while. I did that with a wool sweater to help remove the odor of wood smoke.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I don't know about the stiffness, but I have gotten bad smells out of stuffed animals by enclosing them in a plastic bag for several days with either an opened box of baking soda or activated charcoal.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, that's really interesting, Fun2. I'll try that. Thanks!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops, missed your message, maire cate --thanks to you, too. I'm detecting a trend here...

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I've always had success with other textiles by setting the item on a chair on a windy day, but in the shade.

Then I put it in the dryer on "air" with a dryer sheet for about 5-10 minutes.

Good luck!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, oakley. I could try either one of your recommendations first, since I don't have the charcoal or new box of baking soda right yet.

Anyone have any experience with making a multicolor vintage wool piece colorfast? Or cleaning it at all?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Fly,
    If you are washing with water, use Synthrapol, which is a liquid soap that doesn't let colors bleed back onto the fabric if they are lifted a bit in the washwater. Get it at art stores in the dye supplies section. It did get the smoke smell out of some nubby 1930's silk drapes of mine, using only the barest of warm water, but YMMV of course. I don't know if wool serapes are meant to be washed at all?

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

You can wash these, GENTLY in cool water with Woolite or any detergent meant for wool.

Rinse in more cool water - lots of it - and hang to dry.

If you are worried about bleeding colors, get a proper anti-bleeding product as suggested.

The remaining mothball smell has to air out - hang it somewhere in the shade.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

liriodendron, circuspeanut, these are extremely helpful posts. I've never heard of those detergents...synthrapol is serious, and Eucalan also looks wonderful! I'll order some today to have it on hand, even if I can't use it on this piece. I have other vintage textiles that could use the wash. I'm thinking I may put off cleaning this piece (I'll do the airing thing now, though) until summer so it can dry in the shade. There's just too much chance of rain these days.

Really appreciated. I knew the wise women of g'web would have good advice to help me save this beautiful thing.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, lazy! I'm so scared about colorfastness, because it's taken me so long to find a piece of this size.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

You may want to use the Synthrapol for the first washing, to make sure the dye is set. Then use the Eucalan for all subsequent washings to maintain the oil in the wool.

Picture? Picture?