SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hookoodooku

Modified P-Trap - still in code?

hookoodooku
17 years ago

After replacing the garbage disposal unit under the sink, I had to rework the P-Trap drainage and wanted to see if I've created any code violations I need to correct later.

I've got a double sink. The original installation was pretty strait forward: Drain #1 goes down to a P-Trap, the P-Trap connects directly to the stub comming out of the wall. Drain #2 (where the disposal is located) comes out of the disposal almost horizonally (slight down slope) and connects to the down pipe of Drain #1 just before the P-Trap with a special Tee.

Well after replacing the disposal, the drain comming out of the disposal is now lower than the previous disposal. The stub comming out of the wall, is mounted so high that the original configuration is now impossible to reproduce (at least not without getting an extra tall P-Trap, but at 10:00pm, that wasn't going to happen).

The new configuration has the tail of the P-Trap for Drain #1 replaced with a Tee coupling (i.e. I had to cut the tail of the P-Trap short and put a regular Tee fitting there). The Tee is being fed by the tail of the 2nd P-Trap. The 2nd P-Trap is mounted as high as possible (i.e. used the 90 degree turn down pipe leaving the disposal, and had to cut is short to fit the P-Trap as close to the disposal exit port as possible), but is within 1/2" of the height of the 1st P-Trap. All connections are compression fittings with no sort of sealant used.

Anything I'm going to need to go back and rework later?

Comments (7)