SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Toilet Flange chipped-what to do

lsst
16 years ago

Our house is 3 years old.

When we first moved in, we smelled a sewer smell from the guest bath toilet.The toilet would rock back and forth.

I contacted the builder and he sent the plumber out. After about two hours, the plumber stated he replaced the wax seal with a thicker one but due to a defect in the toilet,(he claimed the bottom of the toilet was not level) it would never sit level. He did state he rigged it to not move but he did not know how long it would last.

We only use this toilet maybe 12 times a year. In the last week we began to smell the sewer smell again. I walked over to the toilet and on the left side the bolt was loose and would just spin around.

My husband and I bought a new wax seal and unbolted the toilet. The photo below is what we found. When I removed the old wax seal, on the left side, the area is chipped out. The bolt just spins. With this section chipped, there is nothing to hold it in. There was a piece of foreign plastic wedged to try to hold the screw in place. That is what we think the plumber meant by rigged.

We removed the bolts and set the toilet in place. It sat level so the problem was not with the toilet but the fact the toilet could not be bolted tight on the left side.

Also, we noticed he used a wax ring without the rubber flange attached. We were going to replace it with a wax ring with a rubber flange. Do we need the rubber flange on the wax ring?

What can be done at this point?

Thanks in advance.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)