SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Toilet flange too high - solutions that look good?

swiss_chard_fanatic
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So the toilet sits about 1.5" above our finished floors. DH was in a hurry 4 yrs ago to get us moved in; now we are finally finishing the remodel.

DH's previous solution to the 1.5" gap was to fill it with grout. Well, we have iron in our water. Over time, the grout has turned a hideous orange. And you cannot get iron out of grout.

DH is nearly out of his mind with the concurrent kitchen remodel, and has flat out told me he refuses to do anything with the flange because it would be too much work and/or too much money. I am not happy about this. How much would it cost to have a plumber cut the flange to proper height?

But we might have a compromise, I just need to see pictures but cannot for the life of me find any on the entire internet. Our tentative compromise is to shim it with an exact wood cutout flush with the toilet base which will be painted a high-gloss white. Anyone know of any pictures of toilet shims that don't look like a hackjob?

I know this is not the proper way to do things--proper way would be to cut the flange to the correct height.

We also had another idea--a toilet that has an extra high base--does that exist?

Neither of us want to lose the height it currently is at--DH in fact prefers to add another inch of height to the toilet. Is it possible without making the situation look like a hackjob?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (13)