SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Wood floor with cat & dog?

SusieQusie60
13 years ago

My goodness - give me childbirth...a trip to the dentist...a year of hard labor. ANYTHING but this decision-making process!!! Everytime I think we get something settled, something else comes up!

What do you think about wood floors with both a kitty and a doggie in the house? The cat is declawed (sorry to anyone offended by that), but has been know to vomit any old place she happens to be. Usually cleaned up very quickly (obviously) but who knows what could happen if we are away for a day or 2. The dog is 10 months old...ALMOST completely housebroken. I fear an accident on my new kitchen floor that we somehow don't see right away and it sits for awhile. Oh, the dog is a Cavalier King Charles, so not too big (under 20 pounds.)

The thought of the pets wrecking my new floor is just a little too much for my tired brain to handle. (FYI: I was all settled on the floor tiles that look like wood, which would give me the durability I need, and hopefully the visual "feel" of a wood floor.) I was convinced (mostly by my husband, but also the builder) that if I wanted the look of wood, I should just go with wood!! In my heart of hearts, I DO want wood - a wood floor is what I am alway attracted to in my inspiration kitchens. It did make sense and I was really happy with it for about 3 hours. Then I was searching and reading some posts, and someone mentioned "pets" and wood floors not being a great combination. I'm looking for personal experience of how a wood floor in the kitchen works out with animals in the house. Anyone? Thanks -

SQ

PS: I do have very old wood floors in my dining room and living room. (Old as in "not nice" - not old as in "distressed and attractive.") Can't afford to replace or refinish right now, so I just live with them. They are in pretty bad shape and anything that happens to them doesn't bother me. We also have wood in our new family room (about 10 years old). They look fine, and my pets have never hurt them. Something about a kitchen floor being a little more of a concern...maybe I'm making something out of nothing? I'm not an astrology person, but I swear - Libras CANNOT make decisions...at least this Libra can't!!!

Comments (13)