SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dobbysmom_gw

tick borne disease

dobbysmom
15 years ago

has anyone had a bad experience with vets diagnosing tick disease? I feel my dog would have died if I hadnt done all the research to diagnose him when he got very ill after I found an engorged tick on him. I asked my vet to put him on doxycycline but he insisted on amoxi. He was worse the next day and I had to hospitalize him for intensive care for almost 4 days. no diagnosis and still deathly ill with vomiting, neurologic problems,depression etc.etc.etc. I asked to take him home to see if I could get him to eat and nurse him back to health.thousands of $$ later and many tests to no avail. I demanded doxy after a week of this and still no better and Vet finally put hime on it when I asked to have him tested for Rocky Mt. spot fever. It was a low positive. He had tested neg for lyme and erlich. when he first got sick.He made a complete recovery on doxy thank goodness but we all went through the worst time over it. I think this is mis and underdiagnosed and pets are getting ill and dieing.we had him tested again for RMSF when 2 1/2 weeks after the first and it was neg.He was on many different meds during this time including prednisone. I dont know if this could effect titer or if he had anaplasmosis instead.

Comments (4)