SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

Linda C: Made your Cream of Mushroom sub

tradewind_64
15 years ago

I was making tuna casserole (DH's fav - I don't like) and I was loathe to use those canned cream soups, which I have always used each time I made it. I did a search and found a thread on making Cream-of-Whatever subs, and I chose to use Linda C's in my casserole. It was delicious!

I didn't know what DH would think about me messing with his imprinted comfort mama-loves-me dish. He starts eating and then says, slowly..."This has a really interesting flavor." Well, I am from CA, but I have lived here in MN long enough to know what "interesting" means, so I say "What do you mean?" And he just sits there for a sec and then says, "I guess, what I mean is, that it has flavor. I've never had tuna casserole that ever really tasted like anything before."

Hilarious.

BTW, I dislike tuna casserole, until I made it this way. Now, while it is not something I would necessarily find myself craving, I actually enjoyed it. A real first for me :-)

Here is Linda C's recipe, in case anyone else was interested. If you do a search for a thread called No More Cream of Mushroom, you will find more recipes from other posters, so you will be sure to find a good fit for you and your pantry.

1/2 stick of butter...add 2 or 3 T chopped onion and 4 oz ( half an 8 oz carton!) of chopped fresh mushrooms and sautee until soft....about 4 to 5 minutes.

Add 3T flour....stir and cook about a minute and add slowly, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 tsp worchestershire and 1/2 tsp salt and2 oz of creamc heese....

Cook and stir until thick....

You can add dried mushrooms, shitake or porcini that have been posdered in the blender if you want a stronger mushroom taste.

Linda C

Thanks Linda!

Joanna

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES