SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

New Cat Charging at Dogs - Anyone ideas?

We recently took in a stray male cat that had been hanging around the house all winter. It's been over a month since we took him to our vet for test for FIV, neuter, all shots, etc. We are still working on his matted coat and he is starting to look like someone actually owns him:) The vet shaved some very bad areas while he was under anesthesia for the neuter. Those areas are already growing in nicely. Vet says he is under a year old. Also, he is not feral (already have one that was feral as a kitten). After much work, love and attention, the once feral kitten has slowly become very tolerant of attention, socializes with the other animals and actually doesn't hide when we have company.

Our new boy looks very much like a Norwegian Forest Cat. We have done some research on this and can't find any behavior similar to that of "Miles".

We already have 3 adult male cats and 2 dogs. All 5 pets lived in harmony for the most part. Every now and then the cats will have a tussle. The new cat "Miles" is adjusting normally to the cats. Not much hissing and absolutely no fighting.

My big problem, however, is that he is very aggressive toward the dogs. Started the day we introduced the dogs. He went at them hissing, scratching, etc. He actually charges at them. I've never experienced a cat behave this way. All of my cats and those of friends and family, will retreat when they come in contact with a dog if the cat is frightened, etc. Not Miles, he goes at the dogs with a vengence. We have been keeping him in my DH office at night so as to ensure no problems arising during the nite. During the day he now has access to the first floor of our home. The dogs are actually frightened of Miles. Today I found both dogs lounging on my bed where they had been since breakfast.

Anyone else have any experience with a cat like this? Suggestions and possible solutions will be very much appreciated.

TIA

p.s. we currently have squirt bottles filled with water to intercede in the event that Miles gets near the dogs as I am afraid he will hurt one or both of my dogs.

Comments (5)