SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

New Years Nibbles

John Liu
11 years ago

New Years party tomorrow. About 20-25 people. Pretty low key as these things go. There will be puzzles, Scrabble, and parlor games, the kids will head upstairs to play XBox and pool and hang out, a hard core of drinkers and eaters will cluster in the kitchen, the social folks will be in the dining and living room. At midnight we play Auld Lang Syne (Jimi Hendrix, Fillmore East, 1970) as loud as we can, which used to be louder when I was young and had a young guy's stereo, but now is pretty tame on the iPod dock speakers, sigh.

Opinions on the nibbles? I never know if I am leaving others in the lurch. Nowadays in Portland you have to assume your event will include vegetarians, vegans, gluten-intolerants, lactose-sensitive, I'm-on-a-dieters, nut allergics, no-GMO and all-organicans, fish and shellfish-o-phobes, locavorians, cruelty-conscious, and even the occasional observant Jew or Muslim. I usually manage to disappoint someone. One of these days I will remember to include an emergency plate of organic brown rice steamed with distilled water.

At this point I am making:

Mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat, with a melted cheese cap (cap needed to hold it in, else crab gets everywhere)

Deep fried panko salmon cakes (was going to fry mini salmon cakes, but deep frying is faster; cakes because balls roll off plates and get trodden into the carpet)

Escargot in mushroom caps (thank you chase!)

Shao Mai - pork/shrimp (old standard here)

Shao Mai - apple, pear, and leek (wondering how these taste? So am I)

Bacon-wrapped scallops or shrimp, depending on what looks good (might deep fry or bake, not sure)

Spanakopita triangles (ah-ha! something vegetarian)

Mini meat pies (puff pastry in a muffin pan, have no idea if this will turn out)

Cheese and salami platter (with cute little labels)

I kind of wanted to make some sushi, but I may not be able to get to the fish market - we'll see.

What do you think, too much meat/fish, not enough sweets maybe?

I'm sure many of us are doing New Years Eve cooking. What nibbles are you preparing?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor