SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

Dog swallowed toy

anicee
11 years ago

I was fostering puppies for my local shelter and got them safe toys, like Kongs but my big dog got a hold of one, chewed on it and swallowed the tip of it who got stuck in his lower intestine and he required surgery which he had yesterday afternoon. I only found out it was part of the small Kong when the vet called me after surgery to ask me if I had a small blue Kong at home.

The surgery went well and the vet didn't have to remove a section of the bowel where the toy 'rested', it was inflamed but no necrosis which is good news. She just called to tell me he was in some pain this morning so she gave him more pain meds.

I hate knowing he's in pain and the recovery will be long and I almost feel guilty to agree for him to have surgery. I feel guilty enough about not seeing that Kong early enough and put it in the puppies crate. Vet expects a full recovery.

Did someone on this forum ever gone through this with one their dogs?. He's a big dog of over 60 lbs. The procedure is quite costly. He's been at the clinic since Tuesday. I'm going to see him this afternoon. He might come out Saturday. I just hate the thought he was in pain and must be uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Anicee

Comments (12)