SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Danger: Toads & Dogs/Cats!!

weed30 St. Louis
14 years ago

I'd heard of the danger of poisonous toads before, but it never affected me until last night, so it wasn't in the forefront of my mind. My dogs are fine, but here's what happened:

The past week I've seen a small toad in my yard. I never would have really noticed but my dogs were playing with "something" so I checked. I moved him to safety - they eat lots of bugs so I didn't want my dogs to kill him. (Ironic!) Last night they found him again, and were pawing at him/trying to grab him. They were very intent, but I finally got them back into the house with treats as a lure.

One of my dogs must have had him for a second, because I did notice her obviously trying to get some nasty taste out of her mouth. She was pawing at her mouth and her tongue was trying to get rid of whatever was bad. On a whim I Googled, and OMG! I had NO IDEA how dangerous they are! I live in St. Louis, and had never really heard of a problem here. WRONG! I'll link an article below, with almost 100 responses from people who had dogs become very ill or die, and it happens very quickly. My dog seemed fine, she must have only gotten a tiny amount of toad poison, but I wiped out her mouth with a wet towel and cleaned both dogs' paws to be sure.

I hope it is only the one toad in my yard. I know a BUNCH live about 1/4 mile away, I can hear them at night. I plan to mow my yard shorter, and fix my leaking hose. (I water my gardens after work, and the hose leaves a nice wet area that I now know attracts toads.) I'm cleaning up all the potential hiding places for toads too. I took apart a Rubbermaid shed and some of the smaller pieces are lying on the groud. There is also an old cement slab that the shed was on, and it has a gap underneath. Have to figure out how to fill that and put a barrier on it. I will also not let my dogs in the yard alone after dark.

I feel kind of stupid - I think I'm pretty educated about dogs, yet had no idea toads are a problem everywhere, not just Florida and other states you typically hear about as infested.

Please take the time to read the article and all of the responses. There is excellent information on what to do, and knowing this could save your dog or cat's life.

Here is a link that might be useful: clicky

Comments (12)