SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Lessons Learned....

ttodd
16 years ago

Some of us are decorating for the first time, some for many years.

Some of us know exactly what we want, some of us find ourselves paralyzed w/ indecision and too many choices.

Some of us have elaborate decorating budgets, while I'm sure most of us have very modest ones if we even have a budget at all.

I'm sure some of us have used professional decorators or such and I'm sure that there are lots of DIY'ers here.

So, share what your best decorating lesson learned has been, maybe you'll help somebody else make a decision or give them that 'Aha!' moment!

Me:

1. W/ a king sized bed & pets those gorgeous fluffy, lofty filled comforters won't cut it! Only quilts will fit into my washer & dryer w/o wrecking the motor. I also gave up on duvets long ago for function & now just keep one turned down at the bottom of the bed to give me that overall 'fluffy' appearance.

2. I've learned that if it says dry clean only it can't come home w/ me! This goes for all of those lovely, lovely silk throw pillows that I've wasted soooooo much money on over the yrs. Now that throw pillow has to have a washable slipcover & that pretty throw has to be able to join the pillow in the washer.

3. W/ kids & pets use outdoor fabrics to reupholster furniture. They come in such an amazing range now. There is also some type of fake velvet that an upholsterer recommended to me that he said is like armor w/ kids. (Now, as soon as I can afford to reupholster the chairs.)

3. If you can't afford to do a lot, don't spend all of the money that you do have on little knick-knacky things to make it look like you have a lot. $4.99 - $14.99 (TJ Maxx & Marshall's used to kill me!) adds up to a lot of money when you keep changing your style (ie: get to know yourself). Save up for a good base & then shop w/ swatches, pictures & measurements of what you have. You'll save so much money in end.

Two best pieces of advice I got here:

1. Decorate for the way you live, not the way you want to live. Was that from Les?

2. I got the 2 leather chairs that I inquired about in January & everyone was right: w/ kids & pets these are the best things in the world! Thanks!

Comments (43)