SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

So what are you feeding your dogs now???

solstice98
17 years ago

HELP! I'm in total confusion about what to feed my dogs now. I've come to this forum seeking enlightenment and found even more information than I expected. My brain is reeling!

I feed my shelties dry kibble exclusively, with the exception of bits of fruit and vegetables while preparing dinner. My DH and I both work and travel for our jobs so the evening meal doesn't always including cooking. On those nights I try to at least throw a couple carrots on top of the kibble. These dogs love fruit - especially melons - and get a little of that a couple times a week. But primarily they live on kibble.

I've always used grocery store kibble but have not stuck to one particular brand over another. From what I've read here, even without the contamination scare, I've been feeding them garbage! Its the equivalent of sending them to McDonalds twice a day. Yikes! And all along I've thought I was a pretty good mom to them. My shelties have lived good long lives but we've spent a fortune in dental cleanings and tooth pullings because once they hit about 11 years old their teeth are terrible. Now I'm wondering if it's diet. I've only had one dog with skin allergies but I'm concerned that's from the food too. A couple over the years with fatty tumors, too. Bad food again.

I can't see myself cooking for the dogs every night since I don't cook for myself or my family every night. Even the premium brand dog foods have been included in the recalls. Many of their ingredients lists aren't much different from the non-premium brands. If I ask the vet I'm sure they'll recommend the brands they sell.

How did you all decide what to feed your dogs, where do you find it, and on what did you base your decision? I don't want to offend the 'organics only' people but just because something is organic, for example, doesn't mean it's the right mix for a canine. Dogs (and wolves, coyotes, etc) on their own would and do eat anything.

Any and all comments are appreciated, so thanks in advance for your input.

Kate

(Bandit and Sarah say "Thanks!" too)

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths