SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Cookies, cookies, cookies and more!

lsr2002
13 years ago

I spent yesterday at my Dil's house making cookies with her and her mother. At varying times we had additional help from our teen aged grands and my son. We worked for about eight hours at a pretty rapid pace.

The two pans in the front are 18" by 26" sheet pans. The one on the left holds rosettes and the one on the right Italian wine cookies. Both are deep fried. This morning we dipped them all in a honey butter syrup. At the very end of the table are some of the pizzelles we made. These are cookies that my DIL's family have made for three generations.

Behind them are peanut butter and almond butter blossems, Sonya Henne cookies rolled in nuts with apricot and raspberry filling, and Russian tea cakes. These were made in memory of Max's Mother who made these and many more for over fifty years until she died last January.

Her mother and I both stayed over night and after the fried cookies were dipped this morning we tried another of Max's mother's recipes - a cream cheese dough rolled out and cut and then folded around a filling. Sadly these were not a success and none of them made it to the table.

After that we made what seemed like 9000 tiny meatballs for their soup with Parmesan croutons, endive and chicken pieces in a chicken broth - a variation on Italian Wedding Soup. Then a huge bowl of ricotta filling and at least fifty crepes for manicotti, 8 quarts of sauce for the manicotti, lasagna, and sausage and large meatballs. There will be a lot of food for Christmas dinner! I had to leave before the many pans of lasagna and manicotti were assembled.

I'm tired!

Lee

Comments (17)