SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

I Don't Know What to Think

Cherryfizz
16 years ago

My SIL called me the other night at 1:30 am and said my brother had bought another ham at Costco so I could have the other spiral ham they bought and she wanted to let me know before I went out and got one on Saturday. Stores were closed on Good Friday.

I thought that was great because I could have my brother Paul over and my niece and have the ham and I would make scalloped potatoes and veggies.

On Friday I was invited to have Easter Dinner at my friend's house and I said I was having dinner here.

I waited all day Saturday for my SIL to bring over the ham and when she didn't I called in the evening -kind of not sure how to ask about the ham so I didn't. I told her about the car alarm thing instead and was hoping she would say she would bring the ham over. Nope.

Paul went to Toronto to drop off Easter treats for his daughter and her BF and was driving right back home so I thought after my SIL brought the ham over I would call him to invite him over. It wouldn't matter if it was a last minute invite for him because he doesn't really care if he goes anywhere but if I said I had dinner for him he would show up.

Paul a good brother - every year he makes up an Easter basket for me and drops it off.

So today is Easter Sunday - I woke up and made a batch of cupcakes to share with my SIL - I decorated them really pretty with pastel colours and Easter sprinkles - I was going to give my SIL 12 of them for her family get-together.

My SIL calls me at 2:00 pm and she said if there is any ham left over she will save me a dinner plate. What???? Good thing I didn't mention anything to my brother about coming here for dinner.

At 3:00 my friend's elderly Mom called me up and said she had some left over fried perch and cole slaw left over from my friend's Good Friday fish fry. It is my friend Kathy's birthday today so they are driving 2 hours to London for Easter Dinner with her brother and thought I would like the food. I brought Kathy down her gift and we chatted for a bit then they sent me home with a huge container of fried perch and cole slaw and some left over corned beef.

At 5:00 pm I call my SIL to ask her about something and to tell her I had these cupcakes for her and I was going to tell her to forget about the ham because I now had all this fish. She had a full house with her family and she didn't mention the ham so I didn't either. She asked me if my brother came over for dinner. LOL No - she didn't give me the ham. LOL I didn't say that to her though.

So now it is 6:00 pm, I haven't had dinner so I think I am going to go ahead and eat the fish - at least someone was thinking about me on Easter. LOL

I really don't know what to think. I kind of feel weird about this - I just get the leftovers from my SIL now. Really, I need to forget I have family on the holidays - no expectations. I've build up a thick skin over the years when it comes to being forgotten on the holidays by my family but when it comes to them my self confidence slips a little bit. I have to learn not to care. That is why Paul is usually so nice to me on holidays.

LOL Speaking of Paul - "where is my Easter basket?" I didn't get that either - but the day isn't over.

I dind't write this to have anyone feel sorry for me - I just can't wrap my brain around this ham business. LOL

Off to reheat the fish. I'm not home now if my SIL calls.

Anyone want a cupcake?

Anne

Comments (15)

• trinitytx
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know you don't want sympathy, but you are going to get it anyway.....
    You have the biggest heart ever, and it breaks my heart to see that you are put on the back burner.
    If I could walk to your house right now and share a cup of tea, or a beer, and a nice dinner with you, I would.

It's really not about the ham.

Sending hugs from Texas to you.

Trin

• Velleen78
    16 years ago

I agree with trinitytx, sometimes family can hurt and I guess you just have to have thick skin.
    We at KT love you.
    We had a nice day at my sons. And then DIL always fixes a bunch of leftovers for us. All my KT hugs for you today.

• Linda Wayman
    16 years ago

I'm another one who feels the way trinitytx does. Anne, you were treated unfairly and I'm very sorry. That is strange about the ham. Do you suppose she made that call in her sleep and didn't recall making it? I wish I was close enough to have some coffee and a cupcake with you.

hugs to you Anne,
    Linda

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

Is there a reason why you and your other brother wouldn't be invited to her gatherings? I mean, in my family if one of us was having a gathering (regardless if it was the other side of the family) and we had siblings with nowhere to go and no plans, for sure they would be invited over. That is just how we are.

Once again, I would have loved to invite you, but Easter is with the in-laws and really, nobody should be exposed to that kind of trauma ROFL.

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

Ohhhh, the pages I could write about family. We almost had an event when my brother started making loud comments to my DH about how he talks to me. My brother wasn't in the conversation so he doesn''t know what we were arguing about. He told DH, that you don't talk to my sister that way. I have had enough with your treating her that way.

Things are fine with DH and he works hard so that i can stay at home with the 3 kids and soon to be 4 kids. I am so grateful for my life, how many people get to stay at home with their kids on a teacher's salery.

Sorry to take over, We had a good dinner and was just finishing up and my sis that works at the hospital called from the maternity ward and said they were going to do the c-section to this after noon.

So Loren Michael was born this afternoon weighing 6lb 14 oz and 20 inches long. I am going down to see him tomorrow.

Stacie

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Aw man, Anne, I really hate the way you're feeling right now, but I don't understand. Maybe I didn't read it right since I kept looking back at the television. So forgive if I missed something. I'm wondering why you didn't ask her about the ham on Saturday. Also thinking like Linda that she didn't make the call. I can speak with my sis in the middle of night, but she will have no recollection. Not sure about today, but maybe she was caught up in plans, entertaining, and feeding everyone to bring your plate over. I very seldom go anywhere on the holidays and get my plate(s) pretty late at night when the party's broken up. I don't expect it until then. But, you're disappointed, so I can't help thinking I missed some of the story.

Stacie, I'd listen to DB if I were you.

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy you had a nice day Velleen.

I just wrote a long post but erased it because my brother just showed up with the food. Little too late.

I ate the fish and it was really good. I don't normally eat fried fish but enjoyed the perch my friend made.

My friend Donna called me after and asked me how my Easter dinner was and if I still had company. I told her I didn't get the ham and didn't invite Paul over and she was more shocked than I was. We had a good laugh. I told her I didn't care about the ham now darn it, I wanted the chocolate. Dontcha know chocolate heals all wounds? LOL

So I sat here and wrote another long post about how my SIL should have called me when they realized they needed the ham, etc. but I wasn't going to say anything to her so that she would feel bad. I just thought it was strange anyways that she called me at 1:30 in the morning to offer the ham. I joked with Donna that maybe I dreamt it but she said no, she talked to me after Shelley called me. LOLOL

So the phone rings a few minutes ago just as I was going to submit my post and I saw it was my SIL so I didn't answer it. I listened to the message and she said that Ray had all the food packed up and was going to bring it over but she wasn't sure if I was home. I shut off my lights and went to hide out in my bedroom. LOL I should have realized she knew I was home because when I am on the internet the phone rings funny.

My brother just lives 2 streets over so by the time I got into the bedroom he was here. I told him he shouldn't have bothered as I already ate and they could use the ham for sandwiches. He asked me if Paul came over for dinner and I said no, I didn't have anything to make for him.

I can't really talk to Ray without him jumping on me so I wasn't going to say anything but I thought what the heck. LOL I told him Shelley should have called me yesterday so I could have gone out and bought my own ham so I could have Paul and Laura over. Surprisingly he didn't attack me like he usually does when I speak. He said he wasn't sure how much ham they needed because when it was out of the package it didn't look like it would be enough to feed Shelley's family.

I offered him the cupcakes to take home but he said for me to keep them they had enough desserts and stuff. I told him I made the cupcakes specially for them but he said "you and Paul eat them". I was more upset over that because I did spend some time on the cupcakes dying the icing and decorating them. I can't eat 24 cupcakes.

I haven't looked in the bag of food he brought. I think I will call Paul and tell him to come over and eat it. Ray said he only ending up taking a few slices off the ham.

I am glad the next major holiday isn't until Thanksgiving in October and I am going to treat that like any other Monday and nobody better mention me making a holiday dinner. Marjorie bailed on Christmas and now this happened on Easter. I'm giving up holidays for Lent - oh darn it's Easter - Lent is over.
    Okay, where is that chocolate? LOL

I hope you all had a Happy Easter.

Anne

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

I think at that point, he'd be wearing the cupcakes.
    Feel better, okay?

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stacie, congratulations for the baby.

LOL Dances. I feel for you. I am close with Shelley's family and sometimes we do have blended get togethers but her family is big and my family is even bigger. She could have said to me come on over but I wouldn't expect her to.

Marjorie, Paul and I are pretty much persona non grata in the family. Marjorie and I are single, Paul is divorced and when he was married his wife had problems. Everyone else has their own families. Marjorie feels it more than I do - I usually don't care one way or another - I'm used to it. My Mom and I were forgotten by everyone but Paul towards the last years of her life. I feel sorry for Paul more than anyone - he and his girls have had it rough so I try to do things for him. After my Mom and Dad split up so too did the fmaily and that left Paul and I alone. Holidays stopped being holidays when my Aunt Elsie moved to Toronto to be closer to her daughter and she passed away not too long after that. My Aunt always made holidays special for us.

No animosity between any of us - well maybe Ray and I because he knows he can get to me. My big mistake was I was born and he wasn't the favourite anymore. LOLOL
    Everyone is too busy with their own lives and I accept that. I do holidays for Marjorie and Paul and Paul doesn't care either. LOL Marjorie bailed on me at Christmas so I told her to make her own plans next Christmas.

I do miss my family though and when we do get together it is nice and reminds me of better times when we were all close.

I guess I better go put that food away. Smells good and Loki keeps sniffing at the bag on the table. LOL

Anne

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I'll have a cupcake, thankyouverymuch! Anne, it hurts me to hear what a goofy bunch of relatives you have and how they don't appreciate you. I think it's great how you don't wallow in misery, though, and just get on with being you, marvelous you. You're a better person than I am.

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

Aw Anne...don't you just hate family sometimes? You are a better person than I am too. I think I would tell them not to bother with inviting me or bringing me left overs either.

(((Anne)))

• susanjf_gw
    16 years ago

anne it's sad how some families just deteriate..i was thinking since my mother and half sister have passed my father's remaining relatives act as if we don't exist...it's only a simple card at christmas they'd have to send, for goodness sake...

if need be, do you have any friends at a nursing home you could share the cupcakes with? so often they're forgotten...

• sue_va
    16 years ago

Annie, get your gun!

Not that kind of gun, but you need to speak up, girl, and fire off a few vocal volleys and straighten those folks out! Seriously though, it would be better if you clarify things and not assume or take anything for granted. Misunderstandings are just that. . .sometimes things are just not clear. You express yourself in writing extremely well. Don't be shy with your family, and remember what Cool hand Luke said: "What we have here is a failure to communicate." Communication is a two-way street.

End of sermon!!

What else has been going on in your neighborhood? Do you still see NK and his DW, or the elusive HK?

I wish I had one of your cupcakes right now!

Sue

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

Anne, take some cupcakes to some favorite people tomorrow. It will lift your spirits, and theirs.

Meanwhile, share the food that was brought over with Paul, and have a marvelous meal.

and hand a cupcake over, I haven't had any either. :)

Moni

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Anne,

I'm sorry that there've been these misunderstandings and lack of concern in your family.

And that you've been disappointed so often.

Oh, yes - I'd love a muffin, cupcake!

ole joyful ... sitting here eating chocolate