SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klemisah

Comfortis - Heart Murmur

klemisah
16 years ago

We began giving our dog Comfortis on March 18th, 2008. (We give him the pill on the 18th of April and continue to keep the monthly cycle). We took our dog to a new vet and they highly recommended the Comfortis pill. We noticed immediately the pill keeps the fleas off and it seems to work well. Either way, we had a second follow-up visit and neither visit did they indicate there were any problems with the dog. This past weekend, May 10th, our dog fell very ill. He was throwing up, started clear, went to yellow, and then pink. We took him to the emergency room and they gave him some amoxicillan, some type of injected fluid under his skin (to hydrate him), and two other types of medicine. He was doing horrible. To say the least he is doing considerably better but when the ER vet was checking him out, they indicated that his heart had a murmur. Keep in mind that neither visit (2) prior to my dog falling ill did the two different vet's at the same clinic detect a heart murmur. We took him in to his normal vet after the stint over the weekend and the vet confirmed he had a murmur. Our dog is eight years old and two months after giving the dog Comfortis, our dog now has a heart murmur. Two visits (at the same office) with two different vets, prior to the emergency incident, there was no sign of a heart murmur or any other vet visit during the life of our dog. So, I can only speculate but this is the only thing that has significantly changed in our dogs life. We do understand that he is old but the vet has concluded after x-rays and an ultra sound that he has degeneration of the valves and would like us to give the dog some medicine to see if his symptoms improve. Anyhow, I wanted to attach to this post and see if anyone else has had similar problems after giving their dog Comfortis, especially in elder dogs.

Comments (11)