SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Heart or Lung problems??

munkos
15 years ago

Our old boxer-pitbull has been having these mini 'hacking/retching' episodes off and on for the last month or so. We had appointments for them both next week. Get our beagle's urine PH re-tested, and a general check up on him, and to look into his episodes.

But last night he started retching, and it did not stop until nearly 12:30 this afternoon. It wasn't so bad last night - but was terrible and fairly often this morning. Like every 5 to 10 mins he'd have a 'spell' So I called the vet and got him in. It's a noise I've never heard before, and never want to hear again. Not a normal noise at all.

They listened to his heart, and it's not a murmur - so tomorrow they are doing chest x-rays to see if something is in his lungs or if his heart is enlarged.

They said otherwise for being 14, he looks pretty healthy. Arthritis and bad teeth, but healthy.

However, he has a growth on his leg, which our OLD vet said was nothing and it was A OK. This vet seems very concerned about it, and she's drawing fluid from it tomorrow. He also does a few things that could point to heart problems. Pants when it's not hot or he's not been active - drools sometimes for no reason, when he never used to - although she said thats probably from his teeth.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with something similar to this (the retching specifically) and what it turned out to be??

At this point, we have decided regardless of what's wrong with him, we want to do what keeps him comfortable and pain free. He's too old to go through anything invasive, or surgery, etc.

I'm pretty worried about him.

Comments (5)