SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

What to do about cat dandruff?

cnvh
18 years ago

We have a short-haired black cat; her fur is extremely dense, however, and as she is a bit on the overweight side, she cannot (or will not) groom herself effectively all over. Hence, even though she is short-haired, she tends to get small matts in hard-to-reach places (like on the top of her back). Also, her skin/coat are somewhat oily, so she always looks a bit on the grungy side. Hubby and I go over her with a grooming brush occasionally, but generally not for lengthy periods-- usually until she gets bored with it and no longer stands still.

Anyway, before her annual vet checkup last month, I really went at her with a a grooming vengeance-- I gave her a bath (with cat shampoo), and after she was good and dry, I gave her a brushing the likes of which she never had before. I probably got a basketball-sized wad of hair off of her, by the time all was said and done-- like I said, she has a REALLY dense undercoat, which I thinned out pretty thoroughly.

The vet was pleased; he said I did a great job grooming her. She passed her checkup with flying colors, no problems found.

She's not a cat who enjoys excessive petting, so hubby and I usually just give her a stroke every now and then when she comes within reach, but yesterday, I was able to get in a good petting... and when I ran my fingers backward through her coat (I wanted to see how much of the undercoat had come back), I notised she has a SERIOUS dandruff problem-- I have never seen an animal so flaky, and quite frankly, it's pretty disgusting!

It doesn't seem to bother her; I never see her itching, and her behavior is the same that it's always been. But this dandruff is freaking me out!

What, if anything, can be done? Is there a shampoo I could use? Would grooming her more often HELP the problem, or make it worse? (I suspect the groom-a-thon I did prior to the vet visit triggered it, because I've had her for 6 years and NEVER saw it this bad before-- but I've never groomed her that intensely before, either.)

I've never seen anything like this... if it appeared to bother her, I'd have her to the vet in a heartbeat, but she isn't acting even a tiny bit unusual.

Comments (23)