SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smarias_gw

overwhelmed with choosing paint color

smarias
13 years ago

We are replacing our kitchen and breakfast nook flooring due to a flood. I want to repaint first, though. I've looked at so many colors and painted so many samples that I am now overwhelmed. I think part of the problem is the floor plan. We have a 3 level home built in the 70's. Low ceilings, choppy layout. When you walk through the front door, you are on the main level which includes the living room to the right, dining room, kitchen and breakfast nook. The nook is open to the lower level (which is what I call the fireplace room). The stairs to get to the upper level (bedrooms and bathrooms) are in the entryway.

I really want the kitchen and nook to have a fresh, airy feel. Here are the samples on my walls:

Glidden--creamy buttermilk, soft candlelight, cool cucumber are a maybe, however I'm not sure they will go with the flooring we chose. It is an "oak look" luxury vinyl. All the others are a definite no... Glidden Tropical Surf, Barely Jade, Haystack, Natural Straw, Celery Sticks, and Martha Stewart's Aegean Sea and Cornbread.

The living room furniture is brown, navy and a little gold so I think the color may need to be more warm.

The existing color on the walls in the living room, kitchen/nook and above the chair rail in the dining room is what was here when we moved in. It is called Echelon Ecru 1122 by Sherwin Williams. I painted SW Dromedary Camel below the chair rail in the dining room as well as in the entryway 4 years ago when we first moved in. I like it in the dining room but it is too dark in the entryway.

Please forgive my babble!! I desperately need help and want to give as many details as I can. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I have pictures here:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/spechtfamilyphotos/Painting%20the%20house/

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket photos of main level

Comments (7)