SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

Dog with Chronic Diarrhea

ebrathedebra
17 years ago

I'm sure this a tough one to answer but I'm going to let you guys give it a shot if you're interested.

I adopted a rescued yellow lab about 1 1/2 months ago with chronic diarrhea. We took her to our vet had fecal and urine tests done which were negative for parasites, giardia, and (I think) bordatella. The vet put her on metronidozal (sp?)and prescription i/d diet. All this just firmed her up a little and then once the meds were done the diarrhea was back. Vet didn't think she should have any more meds and that it was probably a dietary issue and that I should experiment with her diet. FYI - Her records show that she had been treated for heartworms from about the end of January to the end of February and was being confined at a vet during this treatment. My vet thought she could also have damage due to the heartworms.

So far, I've fed her boiled chicken breast and rice, yogurt, pumpkin, and Canidae lamb and rice dry. I feel like I am only making things worse. She has horrible gas and tummy rumblings. I know I'm supposed to be changing over gradually and trying one food at a time for a longer period of time (2 wks) but when the dog has this kind of poop how can I take so long? Today, my friend told me to try some pepto bismol and I gave her 1 tablet.

Any advice?

Comments (28)