SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

Who makes gorgeous crackle subway tiles that look hand-made?

happy2learn
13 years ago

I have been searching and searching for just the right tile for my backsplash, but I am not finding exactly what I want. Can any of you tell me who manufactures gorgeous, crackle-glazed subway tiles that look hand-made and aren't ridiculously expensive? (preferably under $20 a square foot, if possible). (I am assuming that an authentic hand-made tile would cost much more, but if you know of any that aren't too expensive, I'd love to know about those, too!)

I love the traditional, old- world, classic kind of look. I love tiles that have lots of variation in surface texture and in the glaze color. It does seem to be hard to get that glaze variation in the off-white color I am looking for; I have only seen that in the darker colors. Maybe an off-white tile with an overglaze of a slightly darker shade would give the look I am after? Does anyone know of a tile like that? I need a "biscuit", "cream", or "bone" type of color to blend with my light, creamy colored granite. I'd love to see photos of your tiles and backsplashes, if you have any.

Also, if anyone has any subway tile backpslashes with decos and/or borders/listellos, etc., I'd love to see them for ideas. I'd also love to see any examples of 2-tone subway tile backsplashes (where the border or decoratives are different colors than the field tiles). I've seen that done on some beautiful sample boards in various tile shops, but have never seen it in real life. Thanks so much.

Comments (56)