SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

Mysterious cat allergy

olyagrove
15 years ago

I need ideas, anyone you guys can give me...

More than a year ago, I spayed a kitty in a colony I was working on (doing TNR)...The kitty was friendly and the vet said she was kicked in the stomach (had bruising) She was also "forever" pregnant and always lactating - she would nurse her kittens, and then other cats' kittens...

She got spayed, and we decided to try to find her a home, since she was sweet and obviously vulnerable to nasty people in that area (whoever kicked her..)

After she got spayed, she proved to be an excellent help with foster kittens - she continued nursing them (actually lactating) for the time the kittens were around...It was great help with socializing

Once the kitten season was over, and all the foster kittens out of the house, she stopped nursing and lost her interest in kittens all together

And then came her allergy...She licks herself to blood and raw right under her front legs, symmetrically on both sides. Flea allergies are out...We asked a few vets, and no one seems to know for sure what is going on...We tried switching food, and it is weird that it would be food allergy since she was a stray eating very cheap food while living in the feral colony cared by an old lady....

She has been deflead, dewormed, and currently has no fleas - I have another cat who is allergic to fleas and mosquitoes, and the allergy manifests itself in a bit different way (besides, I take caution not to let fleas in the house since Pixel is allergic to them..)

She is on monthly shot (steroids) which only works for the first 2.5 - 3 weeks...Then, the last week she tortures herself, and then we give her her shot ...

What else is likely to cause an allergy like that? Itching in the same spots, over and over again? Both spots are symmetric in their position - mirror images of each other...

Could it be something as crazy as hormonal changes since she had kittens all the time, and after she got spayed, some sort of imbalance happened? I am trying to think of what has changed - she now lives inside, and she is not constantly pregnant/nursing - are the two things I can think of...

Ideas are very appreciated!

Thank you

Olya

Comments (3)