SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Round 2? of Issues!

Buehl
16 years ago

Well I don't know why I'm so surprised, but we have just run into another problem.

When they put in the ceiling they forgot to put the insulation back in that they took out on the outer wall & outside overhang and are now blaming us...

1. Because they said they don't remember taking it out. But, I remember someone (not us) taking it out to investigate the venting problems back in January!

2. Because we didn't check on the workers and see that they hadn't put it back in before the ceiling was put up.

My DH noticed this afternoon that they had taken the insulation out of the DR (it had been stored in the corner) and put it in the trash! (Where did they think it had come from??? And why did they think it didn't have to go back???)

[I told them that he had complained early on that we were around too much so we were staying out of the way and that I had expected them to know enough to put it back in...especially since ALL the other, untouched bays had insulation in them!]

3. Because "the outside plumber who replaced the water pipes must have done it" (even though there were no water pipes there) and that means it's not their responsibility to put it back in!

What they don't realize is that when I checked the pictures I've been taking along the way, I found several that prove that all that insulation was out a month before the outside plumbers came to our house!

Contractor is now...

1. Balking at doing anything about it at all (btw...one of those bays has our tub drain and it definitely needs to be insulated as that's the west side of the house & gets all the wind in the winter!)

2. If we force them to do it, they want to know who's going to pay for the work of cutting the ceiling to put in the insulation and then repairing the drywall!

Hmmm...who do you think? (OK, I didn't say that, but I thought that!) I reiterated that the insulation was taken out by someone either from his company or EXPO (trying to imply w/o actually saying that they should pay for it)

The Contractor will be out tomorrow morning...and I will be armed w/the pictures w/the "picture taken date" to prove that it was done back in January. It won't prove that we didn't take it out, but it will prove that the outside plumber didn't take it out. He did mention maybe blowing insulation into the bays via small holes...is that OK?

Oh, and BTW...I have just found out that the contractors are being told that they should watch their step and not talk to us b/c we are "difficult customers" and that we are trying to "milk them for free merchandise and services!"

They've been told that since we had documented everything in so much detail and had it at our "big meeting" last week, that we must be out to get them for anything we can!

I thought we were being reasonable and only asking for things to compensate for the problems and compromises we had make due to their errors. It's not like we're asking for upgraded cabinetry, appliances, extra work, etc.! All we asked for was to have...

Comments (13)