SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom2010

granite Mari Blue or Antique Brown or others?

laurensmom2010
13 years ago

I've been on the fence, undecided about granite for our countertops. Having a hard time, not falling in love with anything, just needing to settle for something. I was hoping for consistant, elegant, neutral, with maybe some sparkle or omph, probably a dark type for contrast. I've looked at so many samples but the only one I liked alot was Emerald Pearl because of the sparkle (I think). I could not find anywhere to see a large slab though. There are only 2 small places nearby and they didn't have it. Our kitchen is traditional, soft white, with SS appliances and old common redoak floors. I've looked at lots of pics here of black and white kitchens and so thought a good choice might be Black Pearl because I found a sample that had some sparkle. But it seems the real slab doesn't really have sparkle? (And a Carbonia Blue/Blues in the Night for a piece that would coordinate nearby. (I know soapstone would look good but I like some shine)

So while traveling this week I stopped in a larger outofstate granite yard to see Emerald Pearl in person plus to check out the others, and near the front door was Mari Blue. I'd never heard of it before. It is mostly dark with creamy white swirls and fingerprint size bits of blue and some mocha brown thrown in. My husband FINALLY took an interest in something! I like it also even though it is not understated or consistent, which is what I was looking for. Must be the blue bits in it. They also had a table with a granite top of Antique Brown or Brown Antique which looked blue-black to me that I liked. This was near Oklahoma City. I live several states away.

So, now what?

1. Do I pursue this Mari Blue?

2. Would it look good in my average kitchen or out of place?

3.Will I regret changing from an understated, elegant look to a vibrant swirl? It's the only swirling granite I've ever liked.

4.How can I visualize it in my kitchen? I feel like I NEED a sample. I've searched the boards to see what it looks like installed and haven't found one photo here or on Google Images. I feel like a photo of someone's kitchen would tell me! And I can't get a sample. They said it was exotic and couldn't because it could shatter.

5.Is Mari Blue fragile? Or a maintenace problem?

(I'm sure I could get the Antique Brown nearby.)

6.But how to get a sample?

7.And how to get IT! That slab is the one I want but it's 5 states away! (I didn't examine it very closely either, and no 2nd chance to.) After looking at photos of it online, they all look so different, some with the same name are not nearly as pretty. So if a local place ordered it for me will I get what I want?

It's a dilemma! I know the Black Pearl would look good because of photos I've seen here and it is priced right. The Antique Brown would give a similar look with a little more elegance (and cost). (I've almost forgotten the Emerald Pearl now!)

It was great that we finally found something we BOTH like. If it is twice as much but we both love it is it worth busting the budget!?

The Mari Blue is WOW! and probably very expensive and I don't know what that will do to the look without seeing a sample or installed photo? What if it goes in and it overwhelms? Anyone else make such a drastic change in choice?

Advice please!!!! Lots of advice!

Sorry for being so long and rambling.

Comments (8)