SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

Please look at my layout!

16 years ago

We are doing what I keep calling a "tweak"--although it is getting too expensive to deserve that name! Anyway, we are adding a couple of little bumpouts (bay-window sized) to our kitchen and family room and reconfiguring that space along with the mudroom. My goals are:

--to have a nice table for meals (instead of the island only)

--to have more workspace/room for helpers

--to have a pantry

Here is the current layout.

(And this is the FIRST time I have posted pix and I have fiddled and fiddled and can't get them bigger. It seems like everyone else's layout posts are clearer--so I apologize--)

Here is our new plan,mostly only kitchen, followed by a shot of the plan for the whole space. I just realized these are rotated 90 degrees from the above pic--I'm sorry!

I am moving the ovens (to the only place I could find) and enlarging the island. The "hutch" cabinets are actually going to be a bit wider--almost 5'. The new pantry (hooray!!!) is above the powder room.

The old island is 3' x 5'. New one is 3' x 8'.

Aisles will all widen slightly.

In the island I plan to have all my baking stuff and mixer. Open storage at the end of the island facing cooktop (bowls and some pots). And--the DW is still to the L of the fridge and R of sink--didn't realize that wasn't marked. Dish storage is to the L of the sink but I would also like to have dishes in the hutch near the table. Also in the hutch, breakfast foods and some snacks.

Is it weird to have dishes in two places? And is the hutch too far from the DW?

My BIG question is where to put the microwave. Right now it is above the counter to the L of the cooktop. I use it a lot for both snacks and meals. But it seems like it gets in my way when I'm cooking and someone else wants to use it, so I was thinking of moving it to the hutch as well...but I am afraid that will be too far away from the main cooking area, although it would be convenient for snacks and breakfast.

Right now ALL the prep takes place in the little corner between the sink and the cooktop...I am trying to spread things out a bit so we (my tall husband and 3 getting-taller-all-the-time kids) are not always bumping into each other. But I don't want to make it unworkable.

I will hush now...I have a million questions...thank you all so much for your input! The advice I have already gotten here has been so generous and always smart.

Holly

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville