SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

The best DIY kitchen reno hubby ever

needsometips08
14 years ago

Can I just boast about my husband? Is that OK here? It's about my DH, but it's kitchen related.

Last night I did the most boneheaded move in our DIY kitchen to date. It's been going really, really well. No mistakes, no issues, no problems. Well last night I had to go and do our first.

I wanted a large opening between our dining and kitchen and we removed 3 feet of wall already, but it was still looking a little small to me and I had been pondering ways to make it bigger. I asked DH if he could cut the other side down by about 5" since the other side was cut back as far as feasible. It was fully sheetrocked and painted. We hadn't touched that side and didn't plan to. So he says, "ok, just for you honey" and after confirming that's REALLY what I wanted, he grabs the saws-all. In the process of cutting, he accidently nicks the wiring that wires in the chandy in the dining room (his first DIY mistake also!). The dining room was not going to be touched either, but now it looks like the ceiling will have to come out to fix it. The final horrible icing on the cake was that as soon as he got it cut down I could see that it was all wrong and I should never have asked him to do that. The entrance just looked lopsided - you could see straight into the formal living room (which is our messy homeschool room - not a view I wanted to be as exposed as possible). I felt horrible. Just awful. I was so sorry that I ever said anything about taking down that side.

He wrapped his arms around me and reassured me it was no problem at all - we will just have the sheetock guy fix it next week when he is here. No mention of me asking for something unreasonable! He said now I would know and wouldn't have to wonder.

He found a fix for the chandy wire (a junction box hidden in a cabinet) so even that was salvaged.

Now as we speak he is nailing up 2 x 4s in the very place he ripped them out last night.

The things men do for the love of a woman. I told him every time I look at that wall I will think of how much he loves me :-)

Comments (4)