SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_t_gw

Neopolitan Cake

pat_t
14 years ago

I was looking for a way to use up an overabundance of yellow cake mixes (hey, they were 2-for-1!) and stumbled across this on the Taste of Home site. I know lots of you don't use cake mixes - but there are times when I am pressed for time, so I do (and I'm a Chef!)

The cake turned out REALLY good - Mom says it doesn't need a glaze, but I think a simple milk/confectioners' sugar glaze would be good.

First I made this:

BASIC YELLOW BUTTER CAKE

1 yellow cake mix (18-1/4 oz.)

1 stick butter (8 Tblsp.) butter, melted (do not use margarine)

1 cup milk (2% or whole  not skim)

3 large eggs

2 tsp. Vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. In large mixing bowl, combine ingredients listed above. Beat just until blended, and no lumps remain. Pour into pans and bake at 350° F. for 27-29 minutes or until cake tests done.

Then I divided the batter into three bowls equally. The first (plain batter) I poured into a greased Bundt pan. To the second bowl of batter I added 1/2 tsp. strawberry extract and about 8-10 drops of red food coloring. Then I spooned the pink batter over the plain batter in the Bundt pan. To the third bowl of batter, I added about 1/3 cup of Hot Fudge ice cream topping that I had heated in the microwave just so I could pour it. I also added 1 Tblsp. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Then I spooned it on top of the strawberry batter and smoothed it out.

The result is this:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm