SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Need advice for traveling with dietary restrictions

shambo
16 years ago

My husband has congestive heart failure and is on a low sodium diet. In addition, he's got high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and needs to continue on a weight loss diet. Our son and his family live about 270 miles from us. We only visit about four times a year because my husband tires so easily, and we always stay in a hotel.

Meals are always tricky because of his dietary restrictions. We hate to make things difficult for our son & daughter-in-law by asking them to prepare every meal for us. They've got a two year old and a six month old to take care of. And I don't want to take over their kitchen. At the same time, eating most meals at restaurants over a course of four days is also difficult. We know what to order and what to look for at restaurants. We always buy fruit at the local grocery store to keep in our room for snacks. I even bring along some of the low sodium products I use at home. But eating so many restaurant meals weakens his resolve and eventually takes its toll.

How do you deal with those kinds of problems? Would staying at an "extended-stay" hotel where each room has a kitchenette be a better idea? Have any of you used such a facility? I'm looking for ideas that will lessen the negative impact of our trips. I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!