SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

More Restrictions Today

No school till May 1st. everything closed but a few factories, auto repair, home repair stores, grocery stores, and of course restriction on driving. There is probably more I did not list. How is your state doing?

Sue

Comments (44)

• chloebud
    4 years ago

It seems to be about the same all over, including here in CA. Lots of dental and medical offices closing except for emergencies. I'm shocked our grandson's day care center has remained open.

Anyone hear anything about the DMV? That's certainly a place that gets crowded!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

They are anticipating no school again until fall here....the longest spring break in history!! The outbreak is not expected to peak in WA state until May or June so life as we knew it before COVID 19 is unlikely to resume until well into the summer months.

No driving restrictions here. And gas prices have plummeted in the last couple of weeks!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Related Discussions

A Couple More Blooms Today

Q

Comments (10)
    Julia - I'm glad to know Dearest Valentine is doing well in its new home. The leaves always stay deep green here. That's funny about the cicada looking for its dearest valentine. I haven't seen any cicadas here yet. and 17 years ago there were swarms of them. I don't know why they haven't emerged here. I have two websites now. When the Plantfans site didn't go live, I updated my old Plantstep site, and I sold a lot of plants from it in late winter and early Spring - more than I really wanted to since I had the knee pain. The Plantfans site went live in mid-April. It doesn't have as many cultivars listed as the Plantstep site. Debra's Daylilies https://debras_daylilies.plantfans.com/ Debra Zimmerman on Plantstep http://www.Plantstep.com/FlowerCatalog.psl?action=11247 
    ...See More

more and more are blooming today

Q

Comments (8)
    Bob opted for this one as seedling queen. It's amazing since he had several oranges ones to choose from but he chose red. This is Rosie Cotton's Ribbons X Love All Serve All. This one is Lava Flow X Gary Lynn's Calliopsis. It is a third year seedling and will be getting a blue ribbon, which means it is a keeper. It has a good scape and the flower is large. This flower is rather nice, but I think there is a mistake on the parentage. The tag says Smoke Shadows X Geometric Wizard, but I don't see how it could be that. This is my favorite today among the patterned ones. This is Geometric Wizard X Time in a Bottle. This is its first flower ever. This is a large, very flat flower. It is Buddy's Betsy X Stoke the Fire. We planted some martagon lilies last year and we love them. That's all for me. Nancy
    ...See More

A Few More things today . . .

Q

Comments (3)
    Compliments for your excellent photographs as well as the lovely roses! Here, still no rain. Local flora is holding up well in spite of the lack of water, but I fear my spring bulb order, planted when rain was forecast, is probably lost. Noticeable is the suffering caused by the relentless sun, in a season usually characterized by frequent rain and clouds. The daphne and sarcococca on the escarpment, the potted camellia, and the trio of palms in the yard, have yellowed foliage and a sad air. Usually, by the time the rains dry up, in May-June, the trees have leafed out and offer shade, but currently they're still bare and offer no protection. Temperatures are still mild so that's not the problem. About our offer to host you-cranian refugees, we didn't hear back. I hear that some refugees were housed locally, so I'm guessing our lack of the language and being in the country away from services told against us. If Italy takes more refugees, as would be right--I believe that currently there are 50,000-60,000 in the country, a drop in the bucket--we may yet hear from the authorities about our offer. One of the seasonal drainages toward the far end of the property still has water in it! Its clear shallow pools with water trickling through them are a blessed sight. I get down into the woods most days for a few hours to clear brush and cut up dead wood, and often feel how incredibly privileged I am to live here and have this land to take care of.
    ...See More

A few more seedlings today

Q

Comments (5)
    I like both sibs from Raggedy Man x Gay Activist. The first Sonoran Desert Rose pink is very attractive, and I like the edge on the second one. I would cross those two together. The little orange one is a cutie! Debra
    ...See More
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Taxes are not due now till July 15.

• krystalmoon2009
    4 years ago

our DMV's in VA are all closed

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked krystalmoon2009
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There can be no mortgage foreclosures or evictions.

• whistle_b
    4 years ago

What are your driving restrictions? I'm in central VA and have not heard of that. And I wonder how that would be enforced?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked whistle_b
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The California DMV website says this:

------

California is in a State of Emergency, use other service options to complete your DMV transactions. Beginning March 16, 2020, DMV allows customers to avoid coming to a DMV office for 60 days.

Effective immediately, customers whose transactions require an in-office visit will be served on an appointment-only basis.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it is only for work or groceries or emergency travel. All malls, clothing stores beauty salons, barber shops, tattoo parlors, electronic stores, furniture stores are closed. Not many places to go anyway.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

Somewhere in all of the news stories was a small mention and it depended on who they were being interviewed the difference in age but seniors were asked to self isolate for 120 days or 4 months. I am not surprised that the schools in some areas will not reopen until fall. Most people seem to have only read the two weeks. While two weeks was to lessen the initial spike it would do little to lessen the spikes when people started congregating after those two weeks. Germany has told their citizens to expect a long term disruption in their lives.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked maifleur03
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" seniors were asked to self isolate for 120 days or 4 weeks."

4 weeks is 28 days. Which of these numbers is correct?

(120 days is 4 months)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Here in my area (NE Ohio), still seems to be lots of traffic on the highway beyond. I went to the grocery for eggs and noted that the music store was open, the computer store, the auto parts stores, and a butcher shop. That was just along the route I normally drive, so not sure what else is still open.

Hair salons closed as of Wednesday night. The paper said stylists were attempting to take as many regular customers as possible right up until the deadline no matter when previous appts. were made. I bet my friend up the road is in fits. She goes every Friday - no matter what. She probably got in Wednesday, but from now on, at least for awhile, she'll need to get out the hot rollers.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Jasdip
    4 years ago

People are only boarding our city buses via the back door. No one is swiping their cards or coming into contact with the driver.

2 more cases yesterday in our city bringing the number to 14.

Automotive factories are shutting down now.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • User
    4 years ago

So will we have a higher mortality from the virus or from people dying as a result of everything being closed? Wonder how high the crime rate will soar also.

Currently I'm facing being unable to get a life sustaining medication due to postal closures.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • pudgeder
    4 years ago

Payment of Federal taxes aren't due until July 15, but you still must FILE them by the April 15th deadline. As of today, anyway.

Oklahoma has had 1 death from the virus, in Tulsa, a 50 y/old man contracted it from local exposure, not travel. There are a number of children under 4 that have been hospitalized as well.

I was able to go to the store yesterday, they had almost everything I needed. I got the last bag of rice on the shelf. No dry beans of any kind. Cheerios was the only kind of cereal they had, and that section the shelf was full.

And of course no TP, Paper towels. or any hand sanitizer. I was able to get a store brand of antibacterial spray, (like 409.)

I bought a dozen eggs, then when I was putting them away, realized I already had 18. So I called my neighbor and they took them.

The store wasn't packed, and people were keeping their distances.

Restaurants are either delivering, or grubhubbing, or Uber eats. Or they'll bring it out to your vehicle, put it on the hood and then go back inside. I hope the workers aren't ill or contagious.

Three of the U's in central OK have now gone to virtual classes for the rest of the semester. The rest in the state will probably follow suit. I'm going to guess that all graduation activities are off. So far, most of the malls are still open, although a few stores have closed.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked pudgeder
  • tami_ohio
    4 years ago

As of this afternoon, Ford, GM, and Chrysler has suspended production, at least in OH. BMV closed yesterday, except for 13 locations that are open ONLY for CDL renewals and new CDL licenses. As of news on right now, 119 cases in OH 33 people hospitalized. As we have just turned the tv on, that's all I know.

The Automotive closure only slightly affects us, as DH is electrical maintenance, he is on a very modified schedule, which may only be a few days a week, but we are more fortunate than some. He has been thinking about retiring soon, so we will be thinking more about that, and seeing how things will work out.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked tami_ohio
  • Michael
    4 years ago

Ikea has closed all 50 US and Canadian stores.

Transit in Columbus is No-Fee for now.

Our local community has closed all public restrooms in parks and outdoor recreation areas.

Playground equipment is being steam cleaned and sanitized daily.

Hyundai has granted 60/90 extensions to all new car owners, depending on work status.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michael
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

My college kid is home for the rest of the semester and preparing to start classes online. Summer options haven't been cancelled yet. Have to make an appointment to move him out of the dorm. High school is going online next week too.

The malls are closed. Restaurants are doing delivery and or drive through. I've seen some changing menus and doing what they can to compete like making freezer options. I saw one is offering food kits where you bring home the ingredients and cook it yourself . I kind of like that option best because they were offering like steaks, ribs, etc. and a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs and a roll of toilet paper.

My sister's workplace had all of the toilet paper and cleaning supplies stolen. She was able to find toilet paper and brought it in. It's under lock and key. She is an essential worker so no staying home.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Adella Bedella
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

Restaurants closed except for curb side or window pick up, schools closed, hair salons, nail salons closed. I just picked up a new inhaler at Walgreens after calling and trying to make the payment over the phone. They said they couldn't do that. I did tell them I was sick when I pulled up. Hopefully she used hand sanitizer after handling my card.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • donna_loomis
    4 years ago

Chloebud, in CA daycares may remain open to children of parents whose jobs are considered "essential". At least, that was the last I heard on the subject. My DIL works in public health and that is what she was told. But my son can work from home, so they will not take advantage of that, if it is still current information.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked donna_loomis
  • maifleur03
    4 years ago

Elmer thank you for catching that. It is four months. However each state seems to be issuing their own guidelines which is making things more confusing.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

A comment on what is closed and what is not. Much depends on if it is a state or local directive. As an example our mayor ordered businesses and schools to close within the city limits last week after consultation with business leaders and all of the school districts. There are a lot of towns within the metropolitan area so some have ordered the shutdown. Our governor waited to direction from WDC before doing anything and is leaving closings up to individual towns. Yesterday one of the county oversight board ordered all restaurants to only do carryout. I have seen nothing from the other two commissioners. The situation of what is open and what is not is very confusing. I am personally glad that my mayor is attempting to do what is best for the citizens of the town even if I do not agree with some of them. The governor should resign.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

As of 8-pm tonight the PA governor changed the closing of all of non-essential business to the closing of all non-life sustaining business that have a physical property .

In a brain dead move he closed earlier this week all the service plazas on the turnpike (360 miles) . The truckers moving our goods to the stores didn't have rest rooms to use, food to eat, or anywhere to pull over to sleep. I guess someone slapped the governor on the back of the head and he is opening up the service plazas again.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Raye, where are you having postal closures. I visited ours today and was greeted with big smiles, hand sanitizer at every window and the clerks wearing gloves. It wasn't especially busy and it was easy to keep the 6' personal space rule. My delivery person just now left the afternoons mail, DH met her in the driveway.

I think they are having driving restrictions communities people have been asked to shelter in place. Here, drives or rides to combat boredom or anxiety have been suggested, keeping in mind people may not want to go so far away from home a public bathroom might be needed. All parks are open. We drove into the state park at the beach for a few minutes Tuesday to watch the crab boats come back into the bay.

Our schools are closed. Restaurants. The Y, gyms, beauty and barbershops.

Our bank has asked if we cannot handle a transaction either online or at the driveup window, to call and make an appointment to come but not to just drop in expecting business as usual out of respect for each other and their staff.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

Our restaurants are take-out or delivery only. Some of them (the smart ones) have started offering family meals. I really thought that was a good move. I'm not eating out for now, but I could see if you weren't stocked up the family meals would be an advantage. Our grocery stores are wiped out.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked cooper8828
  • tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Our bank, and several others in the area have also started the call for an appointment if you need to use the services inside.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Hair salons & tattoo parlors are closed, I just heard on the local news. Our bank sent out emails, only drive up access to the bank is available without an appointment. Online is fine. I went to Lowes today. It was open. I did go online to order the faucets I needed for the makeover.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Cooper, DH went early to the store today for their 'over 60' two hour shoppers window. 7 AM. It was the first time either of us have noticed any shortages. It was mostly things not on his list, like the usual amount of beef in the meat department, bread selections, and he said he walked down an empty aisle of paper towels and TP out of curiosity. He said there were eggs but we get ours from a friend with a flock of pet 'girls'. And, he said parking lot full and the store was very crowded although mostly with older people and pregnant women. I hope the special hours turn out to be a good idea.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

We have our first case here in my little town. Deaths are over 10,000 worldwide now.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • kittymoonbeam
    4 years ago

I got bored yesterday and went for a drive. It began to rain and as I drove on the road the rain turned to snow so I pulled over and watched it snow for a while. Not many cars on the road. Today it rained again so back to cooking and freezing what I make. It was so pretty and I was sad thinking of all the people who are scared right now. I wish there was a way to get more masks and supplies to doctors and nurses.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked kittymoonbeam
  • KennsWoods
    4 years ago

Here in central FL pretty much as everyone has said. The coastal towns were loathe to close the beaches, which have been crowded due to hot weather and spring break. Beach goers were admonished to 'space out' but were all jammed up. The governor finally had words and the towns are closing the parking near the shore. It's the only thing left to do for the tourists.

Orlando, Orange and the surrounding counties are taking an enormous financial hit with tourism being the major income producer and everything tourist related shut down. It's amazingly easy to get around due to less traffic, but there's nowhere to go!

My neighbor across the street from me is a nurse at a nursing facility and when she goes to work next shift she will be 'locked in' for how long I don't know. Saw other neighbors tonight and as we're all 'of an age' we'll watch out for and check up on each other. I'm wondering if the collateral damage will be worse than the pandemic itself, both mortality wise and cost wise.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked KennsWoods
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

2 dead here in the Houston area. 79 cases. They started drive through testing today in a few locations. There were hundreds of cars lined up. They were able to process 300 cases at one location.

DMV is closed here. I need to get my license renewed before June.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Raven, I need to renew mine before the end of April.

Kathsgrdn, Wallgreens is supposed to be doing free RX delivery right now. Last I read my email, I think it was country wide.

• Lars
    4 years ago

Gavin Newsom has imposed severe restrictions on California, telling everyone to stay home, except for medical reasons. My brother Kevin thought that we would be stuck in Cathedral City, but I pointed out to him that we have to get back to Los Angeles in order to access our medications. We plan to go back on Sunday. If we get stopped by the highway patrol (as Kevin fears), I think we will be allowed to go home.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

tami_ohio When I went through the Walgreen Pharmacy drive-thru to pick up prescriptions the pharmacist confirmed what you said for our area at least.

Lars For now they are allowing people to travel freely for essential services, not just medical. They are asking people to restrict travel out of there areas. People are still allowed to shop for for food, get their cars serviced, take care of family and livestock etc. Marshall Law has't been declared yet regardless of Newsom's grandstanding.

DD has an in with her school district. She is now saying it looks like the probability of schools remaining closed until fall are much more likely than the possibility of them opening sooner. If her district is planning toward a long closure it is likely the rest or much of the state will follow.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" Marshall Law has't been declared yet regardless of Newsom's grandstanding. "

Marshall law only applies if you live in a small town somewhere, the Police Chief's or Sheriff's name is Marshall, and he thinks he makes the rules.

Otherwise I think you mean martial law.

Newsom isn't grandstanding in my view. I'm not necessarily a fan of his but he's shown more leadership than the moron in Washington who still thinks he's dealing with a political problem and is acting accordingly. The nation will continue to suffer as a result of his ineptness.

At least Newsom knows how to take advice from experts. Whether you like his politics or not, he deserves credit for ridding himself of a loser of a wife who was a power hungry wannabe. She's now wrapped her tentacles around Trump Jr. I wonder who will be next?

• Lars
    4 years ago

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm a long time fan of Lou Reed's work. No better example of the classical advice "find out who YOU are and play music LIKE YOU PLAY". It's not circular. Ten seconds is all it takes to ID much of his work. No, they don't all sound alike at all, but when you realize what you're listening to, most Lou Reed songs sound like Lou Reed songs.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

How informative it would be if you started your post with where you are located.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Olychick
  • User
    4 years ago

Morz8 - sorry I've been busy & haven't gotten back to you. The postal closures are not on my end. The company has posted on their website that they experiencing significant delays & periods of being unable to mail patients orders for meds due to postal closures. I didn't bother to look at what state they are in because I can't do anything from here about the situation.

Earlier in the week I went to the local PO to mail taxes and was greeted with a stinky cloud of Lysol, made me cough with burning eyes & runny nose, I could taste it for hours. Can't imagine how the employees could stay in there without becoming ill.

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Raye, that would have sent me into an instant asthma attack!

• User
    4 years ago

Tami - yes, I'm sure you're not the only one - I hope they aired the place out after I was there!

I call that chemical warfare or perfume bombing.

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Raye, I completely agree with you. Forget walking past a perfume counter, and the laundry aisle is almost as bad. I rarely use hairspray, because that triggers issues with DH, who doesn't have asthma.

• chisue
    4 years ago

The Brain Dead are continuing to ignore the situation. I have frequented the various Hawaii forums on TripAdvisor for years. People are asking, "Do I need to cancel my vacation?"

Duh, do you really think there is an abundance of first rate medical care there in the best of times? (Try nursing homes with no A/C and Maui Memorial Hospital bragging that it has 12 ICU beds in reserve. Well, that was two weeks ago...)

Why would I hesitate to check in to a hotel or condo where the last guests left six hours earlier, leaving their possible Covid-19 virus surviving on hard surfaces for three days -- and a housekeeper left hers an hour ago? Then I could self-isolate in a 400 square foot hotel room. (Much more fun than staying home!)