SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Oh my goodness: chicken and dumpling with tortillas

glenda_al
12 years ago

Friend brought me some for my lunch, today. Wow, dumplings made with flour tortillas. And they are so good! Reminded me of the days mother rolled her dumplings out.

Friend said she and husband love pinto beans and cole slaw with theirs.

---------------------------------------------------

1 whole chicken

4 eggs, boiled

1 package of flour tortillas

Salt and pepper

1 can sweet peas (optional).

1)Boil the chicken until done and remove from the pot to cool. Salt and pepper the broth to taste.

2) When the chicken is cool, remove meat from the bone and cut in small pieces and add to the broth.

3) Cut up the boiled eggs and put them in the broth. Or you can crack raw eggs directly into the broth for a consistency more like egg drop soup. (I prefer the boiled eggs.)

4) Add some water to the pot if need be. The broth mixture should be about 3/4 the way up in a 2qt pot. Bring to a boil.

5) Cut the tortillas into strips ( for the dumplings) and drop them a few at the time into the pot. Once they are all in, reduce the heat and simmer until the dumplings reach a consistency you like. I like mine thick (they thicken up as they sit, once they've been taken off the heat.)

6) If you want to add some veggies to the mix you can mix in a can of sweet peas in once the dumplings are almost finished. (At times I also add a can of mixed veggies, but I prefer to use the peas.)

Check the seasoning and season to taste.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022