SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
10kdiamond

Everything is Falling Apart - I Need Help (and jgopp's beer)!

10KDiamond
13 years ago

This has been a very difficult week -

First, I found out that the appliance store LOST the refrigerator and dishwasher that I purchased in the Fall (just after the fire) but not yet delivered. The units were a heavily discounted close-outs so there are no replacements and the store just filed Ch. 7 so the sales group can no longer make deals on anything else. I was actually lucky to get a refund given the bankruptcy. My budget is tight and I am having a difficult time finding reasonably priced replacements (cabinets already ordered so fridge size is restricted to the specs).

Second, my cabinets, delayed due to last week's storm, finally arrived, but are in horrible condition. Out of 18 cabinets, not one is acceptable. Not one. The white paint finish is just terrible, with hairline cracks from the tongue and grove joinder not flush and obvious on virtually every single box, with extremely noticable scrapes, chips, scuffs and rub marks on every cabinet. Several boxes have blotches of yellow (bad paint job), others have visible dribbles of extra paint and many have numerous glue globs. Three of the boxes are cracked, several are so uneven (by more than 1/2 inch, so the crown moulding won't sit flush), one of the drawers has the wrong front on it, one cabinet is missing the roller hinge, and one large 24 inch cabinet is simply missing. Just not delivered.

The cabinets look like they are 10 years old. They look like they should be in a meth lab (well, not that I have ever been in a meth lab, so I don't really know what that looks like).

The manufacturer's rep and the retail rep came to the house today. They were not very sympathetic. Seriously. The Rep said that all painted cabinets have hair line cracks. Seriously? I pointed out the 15 year painted built-in cabinet in the adjacent family room which he scritinized and of course there are no such hairline cracks in it. I told them that I had visited no less than 15 kitchen places yesterday (including places that sold this cabinet line) to see if any of the white painted cabinets had cracks in them to the extent that my cabinets did and none did. The retail rep said that was because cabinets in show rooms were always "touched up" and that I shouldn't expect the same quality. Seriously? He admitted to misrepresenting the product? And that glue globs were "normal." Seriosuly? I'm trying to keep my cool.

Even though the Reps were arrogant and seemingly unapoligetic, it was impossible for them to ignore the scope of the problems. While they were willing to replace the cracked and missing cabinets (like, how generous) and get replacements for the other cabinet abberations, they will only provide a "touch up" for the terrible paint job. The problem is, the paint job is so poor that it will require bottles and bottles of touch up paint and ultimately will not create a consistent finish. Touch up paint simply wasn't designed for wholesale paint finish problems.

They have also offered $250 of labor credit for my installer due to the crooked cabinets. I need to check to see how much longer his job is taking.

I do not intend to accept their offer as it relates to paint. I feel strongly that the cabinets need to be sanded and re-sprayed. I suspect I will have to put in a strong fight, formal letter writing, credit card disputes, etc., and wish I didn't have to exhert energy in this fashion.

Am I being unreasonable?

I feel just sick to my stomach when I look in the kitchen. Yes, it looks like a crack house (uh...not that I have ever been in a crack house) The damage from the fire was easier to see. I've been working from home so as to be close to the work, but I had to get out today for the sake of my sanity. Unfortunately, I didn't communicate the cabinet installation plans very well and my installer (whom I love & who has supported me during the cabinet crisis) installed a few cabinets incorrectly and they will need to be pulled out and reinstalled. This is entirely my fault, and no one else's and if this was the only issue, I would kick myself, but would probably be OK. But as the third issue in as many days, right now I do not feel very equipped to handle things. I am miserable.

If I was at Jgopp's house I would be drinking from the beer tap. Without a glass. But I am skinny and a very cheap drunk so heavy drinking would not be a good thing. Still, I went to the local bar and grill tonight & ordered a steak and a very strong drink. Yes, it took the edge off and a decent meal was probably good for me too. (better than microwaved quesadillas)

I could really use some words of support & suggestions & guidance from this forum. And please tell me if I am off base. Thanks.

Comments (26)