SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

Help with Ugly Kitchen

southernstitcher
15 years ago

My kitchen is very 70's. Floor is new, as is fridge and cooktop. 24" tiny wall oven is new enough.

What would you do with this? As I can't seem to post photos inside the message on this forum, I've included a link to the flickr album. There are left and right side photos as it's a galley kitchen. We can't do much else because instead of expanding the kitchen by using the adjoining dining room - we decided to keep it a dining room when we inherited lots of dining furniture that means a lot to us.

We did the floors when DH was insisting he wouldn't allow me to do ANYTHING else with the kitchen.

So, I have a carpenter who can rebuild or reface whichever I want. He is trying to talk me into building of course. He does beautiful work and could put a hard, furniture grade finish on them. He is suggesting that because if I have newly built, I could possibly change some of the kitchen layout to be a bit better. He suggested moving the fridge from where it is to the opposite end of the same side, and replace with countertop and cabinetry.

On the other side, do the same with the pantry (you can barely see it, it's on the other side of the cooktop). The pantry would go next to the wall oven, and the the junk area next to the wall oven would go. (We're going to rip that out regardless). Again, where the pantry is would be countertop. The lack of counter space next to the cooktop really took me aback when we bought this house. He can build a new wall oven unit to accomodate the 24" now, but a 27" in the future, which is a cool thing.

The opening where you see my kitty standing is the little doorway to the dining room. I don't want to close that in.

I do have a decorator coming, and intend to keep a rustic, country feeling overall. So, I'm not sure how cabinets finished like the Kitchen Maids I've seen would be very rustic. I like the exposed beams and other rustic molding on the wall. DH does not want painted cabinets, which is fine. But, I'm wondering if we're stuck keeping the same shade of finish to match the other wood?

So, just any suggestions please. What would you do with this kitchen? Is it hopeless? My budget is fairly flexible.

One other thing. The carpenter told me that the way these cabs are built they probably wouldn't withstand solid countertops. They are not solid boxes, in other words. I was debating between solid and formica. Not sure if granite is worth it in this neighborhood of starter 70's homes! But, we're here to stay. I'm so lost.....

Here is a link that might be useful: UGLY KITCHEN PHOTOS

Comments (18)