SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noellabelle

Kitchen window help

noellabelle
13 years ago

We're getting close to finished on our kitchen remodel, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the window treatment. The kitchen decor I'm going for is mostly white with aqua and red accents. I don't really know what style it falls into, maybe vintage/cottage/classic?

There's one giant south facing window in our kitchen. It lets in a ton of light, but not a very good view (the parking lot for our condo townhouses, and today has a snowy view ugh!)

I was first thinking a bamboo roller shade, but I need more privacy than a standard one, and I haven't had much luck with the privacy liners staying nice and functional.

Then I thought either white or mid toned wood blinds with a valance, either in the red or aqua family.

Then I decided to make a faux roman blind and either leave the roller shade behind (removing the ruffle) or putting in a wood blind. I spent hours looking for fabric, and eventually bought this one. I was drawn to lattice type geometric prints, but there were none in the aqua or red families. And the aqua ones I found seemed much brighter than my walls, which are a more subtle aqua/gray color.

Now I think the fabric would be overpowering, and I'm now back to the possibility of a bamboo roman shade, but leaving the roller blind underneath so I could have light filtered or blacked out. I'm also worried with the fabric, that it might get dirty even with scotch guarding. I have 3 small kids that like to eat at the island, and they like to test the cleanability of every facet of our home (my 3 yr old colored on the kitchen wall this morning!!!)

Any opinions or ideas?

Comments (24)