SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onyxdaily

Hot spots

onyxdaily
17 years ago

My 5 month old Saint Bernard, Jasper, was diagnosed yesterday with hot spots. The vet (not our regular vet, it was her day off) said it was more than likely from fleas. I did an internet search and found out hot spots can be caused by many things, fleas being a common cause. I asked the vet about food allergies because we switched from puppy chow to purina 1 large breed puppy food recently (gradual switch over the last 2 weeks). Our vet discounted this saying Jasper was too young to develop food allergies. Another internet site said that if the fur has moist matted areas, these can develop hot spots. I wonder about this too, since Jasper's head / neck seem to be wet all the time because of wrestling sessions with his brother, and getting himself all wet when he lays down to drink from his water bowl. The vet continued to insist it was fleas, even though they used a flea comb on him and found no fleas or flea dirt. So my questions are: 1.) Is 5 months too young for allergies, 2.) Can a dog have fleas with no evidence of fleas, and 3.) Does anyone know if a moist spot that gets matted can turn into a hot spot?

Comments (18)