SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Feeding cats seperately -- all day long?

alison
16 years ago

I have what may be an impossible conundrum.

A little background: When I took in my second cat, Chloe, she was more than a little overweight. I began giving her diet cat food in the prescribed amounts, and my Siamese put her on an exercise regime.

And it was working. She lost almost 2 of the 5 the vet wanted her to lose, over 12-15 months. But lately, she's seemed pretty chunky, and when I weighed her last week, she's pushing 15# again.

I should have thought something was up when I noticed that my whippet-thin Siamese seemed to be breezing thru his kibble at a fast rate, without looking a centimeter bigger. But for the last 18 months they've been very good about only eating out of their own bowls (Frankie in the kitchen, Chloe in the study)

Short of putting up a barrier to the kitchen that Frankie can jump over but Chloe can't, I'm not sure how I can keep them out of each other's food bowls. Like a lot of Siamese, Frank has a very touchy stomach. If he eats too quickly, he throws up, but he's paranoid about an empty bowl; as soon as you put something in it he wolfs it down. My only solution has been to make sure there's always a little something in his dish, so he can stroll by and have a bite whenever he wants.

I thought perhaps I could simply move his bowl up on the kitchen table, and have him eat there. (It's a small table used for prep and as a catchall, not sit-around-dining.) But I'm not thrilled having him on the table, and he seems very reluctant to eat up there. (No wonder; for three years I've been shooing him off the table.)

Before I commit to the table top (and having to explain to a cat why the kitchen table is okay, but the dining room table is off limits!) does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make sure the fat cat doesn't get in the finicky cat's food?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)