SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccheezy44

help my tembling dog

McCheezy44
13 years ago

Bit of background.

I have a smooth coat fox terrier who is currently 9 years old. I didnt get him until he was 5, he spent those years as a show dog, very well maintained and in good health. I was told he spent the majority of his time caged as the owner was a breeder. She fed him 1 1/2 cups once a day at night. He ran around a play pen a few times a day for excercise.

So when i got him i was working from home and he was free to roam the house. I also walked him a half hour every morning and some times again later on. I decided that b/c he was getting way more excercise a day i would feed him twice a day instead, the same amount of food split up. This may have been a mistake. I fed him around 8am then at 5pm. This time frame was maintained for a while then gradually got smaller. At some point he started to, around 4pm, trembling, begging. This then turned to 3pm, then 2pm, now about 1pm. Though he often just stands there and shakes while looking at me, ive also seen him laying down by himself doing the shaking. He does not ever do this after he is fed his second meal. Also, he has actually gained weight since ive had him, from 20 to 22lbs.

I asked my vet about this, she said hes probably conditioning me to just eat earlier. Which makes sense b/c this dog lives to eat. However im afraid im really hurting him by trying to make him wait, like he has some sort of diabetes for dogs. Im about to start a job that is 9-5, i hate the idea of him trembling for 4 straight hours before i can feed him.

Anyone here have any kind of experience with this?

thx in advance for any comments

Comments (5)