SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

dog with bloated stomach

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

I have posted on here about my kitten (now young cat) that had diarhea for a month and the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. Thankfully, she has had no problems for almost two months now. Sadly, I am posting regarding one of my parents' dogs. My sister and I raised him (picked him out as a puppy) He is around 10 or 11 and is a mixed breed who is part blue heeler. He has always been a little overweight. A few weeks ago he stopped eating for 3 days (wouldn't even eat treats) and my parents took him to their vet.

The vet said he had "some type of infection" and prescribed an antibiotic and something to stimulate his appetite. He also recommended paying more attention to him (in the last two years my parents adopted two puppies) after several years of this dog used to being in the household with just his sister (not related, but they were adopted on the same day and grew up together). As soon as my parents brought him home he started eating right away and everything seemed fine. He finished his medicine last week. My mom said that last night he seemed uncomfortable and as though it hurt him to lay on the floor. He got up on the bed (where he normally sleeps) and seemed ok there but he kept getting up and down throughout the night. My mom says his stomach is distended and swollen. First thing this morning she took him to their vet and told him to run any test they can.

I am very worried about him. He has had no other noticeable symptoms. I feel like i need to be prepared for the worst. Can anyone please tell me what might possibly be wrong with him?

Comments (15)