SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Diaharea in 10 year old female

sweetchastity
15 years ago

The vet told us our 10 year old sheppard needed to lose weight both to lose weight and to relieve the ear problem she's suffered from for years (fungus or brown discharge, her ear hurts to be cleaned). We've tried a couple recipes from the BalanceIt site but Misty wouldn't eat it (she is table-fed-spoiled). Then we got dry/can food from the vet and gave only that but after a week she developed diaharea with some blood in it. Then the vet gave a recipe of beef/oatmeal/2 green veggies and she's still suffering from diaharea. Mom switches to just meat to calm the diaharea but Misty still has it for a day or two after the change. Misty also seems to strain but not go much, which makes me wonder if she's got cramps or if that's normal for diaharea (I assumed it was just lots of loose stool, not lots of straining with little water).

The vet has suggested Mom give Misty Kaopeptate but I'd like to hear from people here regarding the situation. Is this still a result of sudden switching? Should mom go back to her old table fed ways and switch slowly from that to a new diet? Is it possibly the cabbage in the meal (50% meat, 25% oatmeal, 25% of 2 green veggies). Misty's ear is so painful Mom can't clean it. Any ideas of how we should proceed?

Comments (4)