SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisrose

ACL surgery in my Golden Retriever

wisrose
16 years ago

Hi All...I'm hoping for some good advice regarding recovery for my dog after her surgery. My Golden had the "nylon thread" surgery performed on her hind leg on Thursday. I am supposed to do Physical therapy exercise 3x a day, it is basically just bending her knee a little bit, done while lying down on her side. She does not like me to do it, I am very gentle and barely bend it. It has been 4 days now and I feel like this really needs to get done but I can't stand the thought of hurting her. What would you do? She is on Tramadol, and the vet said to muzzle her and hold her head down if that's what I need to do. Now I realize how important this is to move the joint but if she is in so much pain I feel I shouldn't push this. MY Question is; What kind of physical therapy have you all had to do for your dogs after ACL surgery and how soon after surgery was it done. Also I am suppose to be walking her for 10 minutes 3x a day for week 1 and move up to 20 minutes week 2...she doesn't want to walk that long. The sidewalks are full of ice so I can only walk her in circles around the driveway. I am so worried and frustrated... I don't know what to do.

Comments (22)