SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

dog 'moving' oddly

Ninapearl
15 years ago

for the past couple of months my male corgi, 10 years old, has been moving "oddly". when he stands on a smooth surface (linoleum or the wooden deck), he stands with his hind legs spread out. when he moves, his right leg seems to turn in a little. i don't notice it every single day but many days, it's there.

i had his hips x-rayed about 3 weeks ago. the vet said there is no hip dysplasia and that all he could see is the beginning of arthritis in his right hip. i have started him on a joint supplement.

he is not overweight.

he does not seem to be in any pain. i never hear him vocalize, no wimpering, no "yikes! that hurts!"...

when we are outside, he is still very playful most of the time. he will chase his basketball and bring it back to me to kick again. when my brother-in-law is out here on his 4-wheeler, simon will "herd" him till the cows come home. i often see him moving at the speed of light when he's chasing the big 4-wheeled monster.

i am wondering if i should have his spine x-rayed and evaluated. or, would mild arthritis cause the sort of gait changes i am seeing?

thanks for any input. this little guy, along with his little corgi sister and his big great dane sister, are my life. i want to do whatever i have to in order to keep him and them comfy. :)

Comments (8)