SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pranjal_gw

Weird, scary morning (long post)

pranjal
17 years ago

I woke up thinking I heard Henry (stray we met and fed last nite but left him outside the building as we didn't want to run the risk of our cats catching some disease from him; read the post 'What to do when you see a stray cat?') about half an hour ago.

The door to our apartment was open, Henry was in the front room, meowing, trying to look for a way out, Max sniffing his nose (Max loves other cats).

I found Nikita tucked into the duvet with DH, but Simba was nowhere to be seen. Our building opens onto a very busy street, and Simba has always been an indoor-only cat, he could never survive if he got out.

I woke up DH and he went out looking for Simba while I tried to take Henry out; I guess he felt cornered and was not as friendly as he was last night. I got him out but he wouldn't go near the carrier so I thought I'd just keep talking to him and show him the way out of the building. A neighbour told me he hadn't seen any cats roaming around their floor, and I don't even remember what I said to him, though I did say something, and I was aware I had a crazed look on my face. I just wanted Simba back.

Then I heard Simba's meow - he was sitting at the door of flat #204 (ours is #304) and DH brought him home. Henry got out of the building and ran into the alley at the back.

We have no idea how the door opened - in the past, DH has been accused of closing the door so gently that the latch doesn't click into place, and I'm guessing that's what happened here. After today's events, I'm sure he'll check the door to see if it's closed properly (most of the times we don't even bother to lock it, so I guess that's another habit we need to develop).

The watchman told DH that the door had been open from 6:30 AM (it was 8:30 AM when I heard Henry), and that Max was seen wandering around the upper floors. I think he got his way back bcoz I sometimes take him outdoors on a leash, just around the third floor, bcoz he seems so interested in the outdoors. Maybe Max came back bcoz he saw/heard Henry somewhere in the building, made friends with him, brought him home. Maybe Henry visited us and led Max out.

It doesn't seem that there was any aggression involved; if they'd had a fight, I'd have heard the noise.

Even so, what should I be concerned about, taking into consideration that a friendly stray came into such close contact with my cats? Henry does seem healthy; all our cats have been rescued from the streets, and they didn't have fleas or any diseases. (The stray population does seem OK out here except for ear mites and dehydration in most cases;I've NEVER seen fleas on any stray cat here!).

Comments (3)