SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Funny story; or, why bother?

Elly_NJ
15 years ago

OK, I am here to vent. I have had all the advice I need.

I have lost three cats while a member of this forum. All died young (at 8, 11 and 5) two of them had UT problems, which did not kill them but caused concern and discomfort, and all were very well cared for in the courses of their short lives. '

Against my wishes, after Sofie died in August, I had a kitten Puja I had raised as a bottle baby from the summer, and then a stray was dumped locally (a week after Sofie died), so I took him in with the hope of getting him another home. No one wanted him, so I kept him. I really didn't want him either, because I don't have it in me anymore.

But I love and take care of both. I researched here, with vet friends, and online, foods to prevent UT problems. As a result, I have more than doubled my catfood bills by going onto high quality canned food and giving little to no high quality dry.

So Puja is now10 months old, and this morning had not peed for over 24 hours. Then she strained in the box.

No other symptoms. Eating, drinking, playing. Not peeing.

I took her to the vet, expecting, of course! a UTI. She had a slight fever, the vet got a cystocentisis, urine for urinalysis and a culture, and $300 later I am waiting for the lab work tomorrow and next week.

I just paid off Visa bills from the three other cats that died in the last 10 years. Really, just paid the last $150.

So: I knew it. I knew the research, good food and my care means nothing. I know in a few months I will be telling you the same story about James, the dumped stray I adopted, for whom I provide a heating pad because he is old and thin.

Do not believe that good food, devotion or care has any effect or impact on your pets. I am fully sick and tired of the care I provide and the heartbreak that occurs in spite of it.

That's all. The rest is BS.

Comments (21)